News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British Naval Group- with Photos.

I found this to be an interesting group with it's attached photos. Also, it makes a change from the bigger

ships we usually see.

When we entered the War in 1939 , ship of all classes were short - particularly anti-mine vessels. One

of the quickest and easiest ways to provide them, was to take over fishing trawlers. The officers were

usually Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve and they quickly became proficient. This was just as well as German

planes would fly over selected ports and estuaries and drop mines.

Casualties were high - I have left the papers which covered the two trawlers which Lt.J.L. Mathews RNVR

served on as Commander.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2012/post-6209-0-99200200-1343923553.jpgclick to enlarge

His entitlement was 39/45 Star, Atlantic Star and the War Medal.

Particularly interesting is his Atlantic Star with France and Germany Bar. Serving in Home Waters the opportunity to be awarded a lot of medals was not there - however, those serving at the time of 'D ' Day in the North Sea - The Channel or, the Bay of Biscay received this Bar. The value of the Medal increases quite considerably.

I found this to be an interesting group with it's attached photos. Also, it makes a change from the bigger

ships we usually see.

Particularly interesting is his Atlantic Star with France and Germany Bar. Serving in Home Waters the opportunity to be awarded a lot of medals was not there - however, those serving at the time of 'D ' Day in the North Sea - The Channel or, the Bay of Biscay received this Bar. The value of the Medal increases quite considerably.

Hello Mervyn,

What a wonderful group with photos !

It is often these smaller groups, that show solid and continuous; though unglamorous work, that prove to be gems. Constant service conducting mine sweeping and mine hunting was required and was dangerous work. A very nice group it is.

Thanks for posting.

Regards,

Rob