News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Killed in Action

One of the standard things of collecting is that people look for the unusual and the rare. KILLED IN ACTION

medals will always command quite a high premium - sad for the victim and his family - but a fact of life.

The World War One - War Medal below - is a South African casualty and the CWGC readout shows his unit,

date of death and where he is buried. 1917 was an active period of the War and I will have his papers drawn

to get further details.

Meanwhile - please note that he was with South African Heavy Artillery. Normally they are quite a way behind

lines - so it will be interesting to find out the circumstances. I am hoping that Arthur will spot this post and,

perhaps be able to help with the total number of casualties to Heavy Artillery - I, somehow, don't think it will

be a very big number.

I am also not remembering what guns our H.A. were using. Was it the big 8 inch guns - or, perhaps the 5.5"

Howitzers.

He was only 24 when he died - so the WW2 medals must be for a son - or, more likely a Brother.

As always - your input is welcomed. Mervyn

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2012/post-6209-0-89465100-1345041863.jpgclick

Meanwhile - please note that he was with South African Heavy Artillery. Normally they are quite a way behind

lines - so it will be interesting to find out the circumstances. I am hoping that Arthur will spot this post and,

perhaps be able to help with the total number of casualties to Heavy Artillery - I, somehow, don't think it will

be a very big number.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2012/post-6209-0-89465100-1345041863.jpgclick

Merwyn

A great misconception about artillery groups is that they were not in the frontline. However, these brave lads had to withstand what is known as counter battery fire, that is when the enemy guns range in on the oppositions guns in an attempt to put them out of action, terrible consequences resulted as these poor gunners were largely exposed and hence took a terrible toll as they did not have deep trenches to protect them. Then there were attacks from the air, pilots like nothing better than a few exposed artillery pieces to bomb or straff with their machine guns, basically they were sitting targets!

Artillery medals have a terrible stigma attached to them and are classed as Corps medals and hence cheaper than many of the Infantry units, many of these Infantry units came within earshot of the frontlines.

Attaching a picture of the SAHA Monument situated in the Cape Town gardens, plaque in front has all the deaceased gunners names, there are quite a few.

Regards

Brian

Edited by brian conyngham

Brian - thank you very much for taking the time to take and post these photos. Adds a lot of info. to what we knew.

Considering that the Heavy Artillery would have seen action in South West Africa, France and Mesopotamia , 150

KIA's doesn't sound a very high figure. I certainly think it adds rarity value to the medal.

Any idea on the muzzle size on the Memorial gun ?

Best wishes Mervyn

Mervyn

The gun mounted on the memorial is a six inch howitzer. This artillery piece was the most common weapon used by the SAHA in Europe.

The SAHA did not partake in the Palestine theatre, the SA Field Artillery took part in this campaign.

The Heavy Artillery Brigade that took part in the GSWA Campaign and the SAHA who fought on the Western Front were two different units. I will post some info to clear up the confusion that many collectors and people in general have regards these 2 units:

Heavy Artillery Brigade: (World War 1 GSWA). Government Notice 434, 27/2/1913 authorized the formation of the South African Garrison Artillery to be established on the 1st July 1913. It consisted of members of the 1st Division being the Cape Garrison Artillery and the 2nd Division being the Durban Garrison Artillery under the command of Lt-Col. J M Rose. The batteries sent to German South West Africa from this brigade comprised C, D, F, N and K Batteries.

They were equipped with 4.7 and 4-inch naval guns. Once its services were no longer required, the brigade was disbanded in June 1915. Recruiting began in July 1915 for the new Heavy Artillery Regiment that was being formed for service in France, many ex-members of the Heavy Artillery Brigade re-attested to continue serving their country, only this time a lot further from home and in totally different conditions.

This earlier Heavy Artillery Brigade must not be confused with the South African Heavy Artillery, formed for service in France, although it was the forerunner of the later.

Shoulder title was a brass HA. I believe this badge is not in Owen's.

South African Heavy Artillery (SAHA). After the end of hostilities in German South West Africa ex-members of the Heavy Artillery Brigade and other volunteers who did not wish to serve in German East Africa, Egypt and Palestine theatres, reformed into five batteries between July and August 1915 for service in France. Criteria were rather strict for the initial group and only members of fine physique and a standard height of 5 feet 8 inches were accepted. The roll was closed when it reached a total of 600 men.

Once the five batteries of volunteers arrived in England from South Africa they were each armed with four 6-inch 26cwt Breech Loading howitzers and became affiliated to the Royal Garrison Artillery. They respectively became the 71st, 72nd, 73rd, 74th, and 75th Siege Batteries, RGA. Later in April 1916 a sixth battery, the 125th was formed. Early 1918 saw a seventh the 542nd and eighth the 496th created but on arrival in France, they were split up and men and guns dispersed, the 542nd between the 75th and 125th and the 496th between the 72nd and 74th batteries. A ninth battery, the 552nd, armed with 8-inch guns, was formed later in 1918 but the War ended before it could be brought into action.

For most of the War the six batteries acted as independent units, being allotted to widely separated corps and other heavy artillery groups. Only on three occasions did they support the 1st SA Infantry Brigade and then only at battery strength! The three occasions are as follows: the 75th Battery at Butte de Warlencourt, the 71st Battery at Third Ypres and the 74th Battery at

Arras. At the beginning of 1918 they were brought together, and two South African Heavy Artillery Brigades were formed these being the 44th Brigade and the 50th Brigade.

They took heavy casualties and won numerous awards for their distinguished service and courage in the terrible conditions found on the Western Front. The famous author Sir Percy Fitzpatrick’s only son Lieutenant and later Major Percy Nugent George Fitzpatrick, formally of the Imperial Light Horse and later the Heavy Artillery in German South West Africa, was one of the original group of officers to volunteer for service in the SAHA in France. Unfortunately he was killed by shellfire near the end of hostilities in 1918.

Below is a short history of each Battery as well as their Battle Honours. They have been placed in original battery order and not Royal Garrison Artillery order.

73rd (Cape) Siege Battery SAHA RGA. This was the 1st Battery of the original five batteries sent out from South Africa to become the South African Heavy Artillery affiliated to the RGA in World War 1. Commanding officer was Major Brydon.

It was this Battery that achieved the all time First World War record rate of fire, firing 32 rounds in 8 minutes with each gun.

Battle honours for this Battery were as follows, granted by GO 5997 of 21st April 1926:

Somme 1916, Pozieres, Thiepval, Ancre 1916, Arras 1917, Ypres 1917, Menin Road, Lys, Bethune and Pursuit to Mons.

74th (Eastern Province) Siege Battery SAHA RGA. This was the 2nd Battery of the original five batteries sent out from South Africa to become the South African Heavy Artillery affiliated to the RGA in World War 1. Commanding officer was Major Pickburn.

This battery once recorded firing 1733 rounds on the 1st July 1916. This battery also had the honour of being the last South African battery to take part in action during World War 1, when on the 20th October 1918 when it supported a Canadian attack in the area around Wallers.

Battle honours for this Battery were as follows, granted by GO 5997 of 21st April 1926:

Somme 1916-18, Pozieres, Ancre 1916, Arras 1917-18, Oppy, Messines 1917, Ypres 1917, Menin Road, Passchendaele and Pursuit to Mons.

71st (Transvaal) Siege Battery SAHA RGA. This was the 3rd Battery of the original five batteries sent out from South Africa to become the South African Heavy Artillery affiliated to the RGA in World War 1. Commanding officer was Major Harrison.

Somme 1916, Pozieres, Flers-Courcelette, Thiepval, Bullecourt, Ypres 1917, Passchendaele, Cambrai 1917, Lys and Pursuit to Mons.

72nd (Griqualand West) Siege Battery SAHA RGA. This was the 4th Battery of the original five batteries sent out from South Africa to become the South African Heavy Artillery affiliated to the RGA in World War 1. Commanding officer was Major Alston.

Somme 1916-18, Pozieres, Thipval, Ancre 1916, Arras 1917-18, Ypres 1917, Passchendaele, Scarpe 1918, Droucourt-Queant and Pursuit to Mons.

75th (Natal) Siege Battery SAHA RGA. This was the 5th Battery of the original five batteries sent out from South Africa to become the South African Heavy Artillery affiliated to the RGA in World War 1. Commanding officer was Major Tripp.

This battery recorded firing 1312 rounds before noon on the 1st July 1916, a remarkable achievement.

Somme 1916-18, Bazentein, Pozieres, Flers-Courcelette, Ypres 1917, Poelca-Pelle, Scarpe 1918, Droucourt-Queant and Pursuit to Mons.

125th (Transvaal) Siege Battery SAHA RGA. Formed in 1916 as the 6th South African Heavy Artillery Siege Battery. Commanding officer was Major Begbie.

Battle honours for this Battery were as follows, granted by GO 5997 of 21st April 1916:

Somme 1916, Flers-Courcelette, Thiepval, Ancre 1916, Arras 1917, Scarpe 1917, Ypres 1917, Cambrai 1917, Lys, Bethune and Pursuit to Mons.

496th Siege Battery SAHA RGA. Formed in 1917/18 but its men and guns were later dispersed as replacements amongst the 72nd and 74th Batteries of the SAHA.

542nd Siege Battery SAHA RGA. Formed in 1918 but its men and guns were later dispersed as replacements amongst the 75th and 125th Batteries of the SAHA.

552nd Siege Battery SAHA RGA. This was the 9th and last Siege Battery of the SAHA and was formed late in 1918 to be armed with 8-inch guns but the War was over before they could be brought into action. It’s commanding officer was Major Ridley MC and Bar.

The 2 composite SAHA Brigades were as follows:

44th South African Heavy Artillery Brigade. Formed in 1918, this Brigade consisted of the South African 71st, 73rd, 125th and British 20th Siege Batteries RGA. Commanding officer was Lt Col Blew DSO.

50th South African Heavy Artillery Brigade. Formed in 1918, this Brigade consisted of the South African 72nd, 74th, 75th, and British 275th Siege Batteries RGA. Commanding officer was Major Tripp.

Owens 892 to 900, 1268, 1732, 2232 to 2234 and 2310 to2312.

A few years back I managed to acquire Major Percy Nugent George Fitzpatrick's British War Medal from a collector in the USA. Sadly his trio had been broken up some time in the past, however, I am still privilaged to have this historical medal in my collection.

It must be remembered that Sir Percy was the one who orchestrated the idea of a two minute period of silence, largely brought about by the death of his son.

I hope this info will help ?

RegardsBrian

Edited by brian conyngham

Brian - I must congratulate you on a really informative article on the SAHA. I will attach it - with your permission - to the medal?

The discharge from one unit and the joining to another seems to have been fairly standard at the end of the SWA campaign. I

believe it was called a Table Top Discharge - and was very simple in operation. The man marched before the recruiting officers

and was asked if he wished to take discharge. On a Yes , he was then asked if he wished to sign for overseas service. Which then

took effect. Because many of the men were senior NCO's they could not always have that rank I had the medals for a Colour

Sergt. - who was offered the rank of Corporal - which he accepted.

We will have to wait for his paper before we find out which Battery Deas was attached to.

IrishGunner - we will look forward to your medal. Mervyn