News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

legion photo?

fotomaster

The first picture is probably a fireman.

The second, which is clearly Napoleon III period, is a Second-Lieutenant, possibly of one of the Grenadiers de la Garde Imperiale Regiments. The rank might be a Chef de bataillon (Major) depending how the shoulder plates really looked like, but I rather doubt that.

Veteran

Edited by Veteran

• 5 months later...

Hello Fotomaster:

At first glance I doubt very much that anyone of the pictured personnel belongs to the French Foreign Legion even with the small size photos which makes it difficult to make out details. Here is why I think so:

- neck ties shown are all khaki colored ( Legion wears green neck ties and certainly did so in the time frame here which I put in the 1950's).

- garrison caps appear of one color while only some Legion formations wore garrison caps when in dress uniform shown here( to mind comes the 3. REI and when in wear were always green with red top portion).

As to details ref.fouragere, sleeve insignia, shoulder boards etc they are too unclear because of size, to permit me to state my impression.

Bernhard H. Holst