News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ID Needed for: Nemo Me Impune Lacessit Scottish Silver Badge

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit Scottish Silver Badge...This is a large 2 3/4 inch wide screw on hollow badge and is either a cap badge or for attachment to an order sash perhaps...Judging the quality and construction my opinion it is at least Napoleonic era...Not my area of collecting and it was from a collection of major European Orders and Decorations without any known history.

Any help to identify it would be appreciated.ScotBadge2_zps9da185c3.jpg

ScotBadge10_zps1a31d66c.jpg

Thanks, Ed

http://s149.photobuc...Scottish Badge/ LINK TO IMAGES

Edited by Warpath

• 2 months later...

Although I cannot identify the badge at the moment , it is interesting to note that the motto is used today by The Royal Regiment of Scotland,was the motto of the Berwick Militia and in the 1960's The Lowland Brigade.

When displaying the badge the fancy belt loop should central bottom, buckle to the left which would show the Scottish Lion correctly.It is an interesting badge and I will delve further.

Warpath - the probability is that this is a Clan Badge - and with this size possibly a shoulder pin for the tartan cross shoulder sash.

The meaning of the Latin Motto is - " No one provokes me with Impunity".

I checked a book of Families and Military units who use Latin Mottoes and quite a number are shown. I will try to list the major ones

and you can make a few internet cross checks.

Irwin ; Macgeogh ; Bond ; Nettles ; (these will be Clans)

Order of St. Andrew of Scotland ; Order of the Thistle ; The Royal Scots (Lothian Regt) ; 1st Vol. Bn. The Black Watch ; 2nd Royal

Lanark Militia ; 9th (Glasgow Highland) Bn. Territorials ; 42nd Foot (1st Bn. The Black Watch - Royal Highlanders) ; 78th Lancs.

(Manchester) Rifle Vol. Corps. ; 79th Foot - Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders ; 91st Foot (1st. Bn Princess Louise's Argyle

and Sutherland Highlanders)

Hope this is of some help to you - I still favour a Clan - but you have some distinguished units listed. Mervyn

(As the Borderer pointed out the tail of the belt is at the immediate bottom. From the look of the back it appears to be silver -

although there is no Hallmark. The front has either been gilded at some time - or, has a gold content. Try gently cleaning it.)

The Scottish Lion is known as a Lion Rampant.