News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What Could it Be? (circa 18th C German Hunting Flask?)

One of my other interests is collecting English Queen Anne/Georgian era silver. Occasionally, whilst hunting for pieces, I come across other items of silver (sometimes way outside my area of knowledge) that interest me, for one reason or another. This is just such a piece! If anyone has any ideas what it might be...I would love to hear them.

I have posted the same question on a silver forum, but it struck me this evening that it may have had a military use...so, posting on GMIC might make a good deal of sense! and, if it has no military connection, well,,,it still fits in here.

It is not hallmarked silver, but it tests for about 800 grade silver (typical of a continental silver standard). The style seems to say German States of the 18th Century. It has a an applied monogram in gold (I think) on each side and is engraved with wrigglework and two 'pictures' (a hare or rabbit and a staff with a snake). The whole thing is about the size of the average mans palm (pocket sized). The lid connected by a stout chain and the 'flask' is made of a heavy guage silver (i.e. it is strong and chunky).

All things combined made me wonder if it is some sort of hunting flask (certainly strong enough to take rough handling) ...or, maybe something to take on campaign service....the staff and snake might have medical/military connotations? The monograms suggest it might have been given as a wedding gift?

Anyway, over to you...!

th_Whole-1.jpg th_JAURabbit.jpg th_EndwithChainFixture.jpg

th_JAUCloseup.jpg th_MGUCloseup.jpg th_Basecloseup.jpg th_RabbitCloseup.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Have had a little trouble getting this post to hold - maybe it's an anti-Brit. piece ...................

Actually, it is an early and beautifully made item - and you are probably correct that it is a

wedding gift. The gold initials would indicate this - JAY being the wife. See if you can guess

why I say that - you will need to look at both vases of flowers ?

I doubt if this would have been a single gift - probably part of a garniture of anything up to ten

matching pieces. This piece could have a number of uses - do you think the chain is original ?

Perhaps intended for a bedroom - or, as part of a hunting set. This would be ideal for early

cartridges. The other thought that occurs - how about a set for travelling in the coach ?

I wonder what other members make of it's possible use ? Mervyn

Oh dear, I'm feeling like I normally do after not being able to answer a single correct question on 'University Challenge'! I have looked at the vases of flowers and can see that there are differences, but nothing about either one shouts man or woman to me...I must admit though that I have not looked in detail at the vases and now that I do...I wonder if they are supposed to be ducal style coronets?

I have always thought the chain was original...it is heavy/chunky and feels right....but, now that you have raised the possibility it isn't...I will have a closer look at it tomorrow.

Thanks for commenting - it is great to see something through fresh eyes and I am very interested in your thoughts on what it might be. I particularly like the thought of early cartridges...this would certainly have kept the powder dry.

Owen - if I am correct, the vase that I think is for the woman has two trailing fronds on either side. Whilst for MGU it has

ons strand sticking straight out - very phallic. The base of 'his ' vase also has two protrusions - the other ones are rounded.

Silly little things - but it was how subtle distinctions were made in those days.

The reason I asked about the chain is that this one has a twist in the shape of the link - normally from a later date.

One other thought that crossed my mind - the 'caterpillar' and the hare could be supporters from their coats of arms ?

I doubt if you will ever know for sure - but, nice to speculate. Mervyn

Thanks Mervyn - I see it now! Interesting observation on the chain too, I simply hadn't considered that. I guess it is possible that the chain was replaced or perhaps it was added to an item that did not originally have a chain. All in all, I am very pleased that I posted it...you have given me quite a bit to think on. I have always hoped to see something similar, but never have. As you say, the guessing and speculation is part of the fun (sometimes the truth, when finally revealed can be more disappointing!). I might start to think of it as a cartridge case rather than a flask...Owen