News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medaille Militaire

Jaybo

Gentlemen,

Could Veteran or someone please else give me a crash course in the different 'types' of the Medaille Militaire and when (what years) the various types would have been issued in? I'm particularily interested in the types issued during the Great War. Would officers receive better quality specimens than other ranks? Also, is there a work in either French or English that is a useful reference work? Thanks.

All the best,

Jay

Hello Jaybo

This is a huge topic.

From a strict point of view, there are only 3 official texts for the Médaille Militaire.

- decree of 29 February 1852 : creation, Présidence and IInd Empire. 1st and 2nd types

- decree of 8 November 1870 : IIIrd République, 4 different types (from 3 to 6).

- decree of 27 February 1951 : IVth, then Vth République, 7th type.

There are still discussions about the number of types... The classification below is drawn from an excellent article from Jean Hass in "Symboles et Traditions" nr 93, 1980. Unfortunately, this booklet is no more available now.

To be quick :

1st type 1852 : head of "Louis Napoléon", imperial eagle, wings touching the medal.

2nd type 1852 - 1870 : same, wings not touching the medal.

1870 - 1951 : a trophy of arms replaces the imperial eagle, figure of the French republic, mention 1870.

3rd type : biface trophy of arms is welded to the medal. Period circa 1871.

****Note : types 4, 5, 6 are NOT in chronological order and exist simultaneously****

4th types : biface trophy of arms attached with a ring to the medal.

5th type : sided trophy of arms attached with a ring

6th type : sided trophy of arms attached by a hinge

After 1951: mention "1870" is deleted.

7th type : sided trophy of arms attached by a ring or a hinge.

There are a lot of variations in the types 4, 5 and 6...

Hope this gives a first useful answer.

Bison

Edited by Bison

Thank you Bison. That is helpful. My guy would have had either Type 4, 5, or 6 then it appears. I noticed that some appear to be silver and others something else. Is that just done at the whim of the manufacturer?

Jay