News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rare 1/2 Kruger Ponds 1896

I am a little worried that this Coins and Medallions section - together with the Freemasons Forum is

not getting many Posts. Should you have anything of interest to show us - please do so - without

Members input Nick may decide to merge them with other Forums.

This lovely set of cuff links recently came-in and they are unusual that Boer 1/2 Kruger Ponds from the

Boer Republic have been used. They are of course, 22 ct. gold and have been mounted with 9ct. gold

links.

The Republic made their own coinage from 1892 to 1898 - I think, in the Mint at Pretoria. British

Officers took many back to Britain with them and often they were made into cufflinks. The other main

alternative was to have a hole made and suspend it from the pocket watch centre link.

Since the box is for a jeweller in Elgin, Scotland, it is probable that an officer from one of the Scottish

Regt's had them made-up. The box has a Queen Victoria Crown - so it must have been during the

War (1899-1902) or, just after. She died in 1901.

I no longer wear long sleeved shirts made for cuff links - otherwise, I would be tempted to keep them.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2012/post-6209-0-64891900-1353853019.jpgclick