News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British Naval Tallys

Hi, first of all let me say Hello! As I am a new member.

I have recently found lots of military related items in my late grandfathers attic. Now I know he was in the Navy during WW2 because I have his medals in a box, however he seems to have been collecting bits for years without anyone else knowing!!

My first question is British Navy tallys, how do you tell what age they are??? Some have a full stop at the end and others do not and one has H.M.M.T.B. On it???? The others have H.M.S, and H.M.S. Victorious. And lots with H.M.S Mercury for example but no dot at the end of the ships name.

Sorry for the long winded question!!!!

Also as his medal box has his war time number on it, is there anyway I can find out where he was or what ships he served on???

Many thanks

Mick

Hi Mick,

Most of the answers you seek can be found on GMIC, please check out the threads below:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/49276-info-hms-warspite-sailor-cap/

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/50851-hms-tallies-how-to-tell-the-difference/?hl=tally

HMS was worn by nearly all men dressd as sailors during the war, for reasons of security.

HMMTB = H.M. Motor Torpedo Boat (these tallies generally do not carry the number of the MTB).

The ship's names on the tallies can be checked via the internet for the period of service and type of ship; many names have been used duting a very long time in various eras.

WW2 medals are generally issued unnamed, unless when they are accompanied by a named medal (also bearing a ship's name) it is nearly impossible to work out on what ships he served. For that you will need his Service Record (all men received a copy of this document when they left the Service). Perhaps a copy can be found in the National Archives, but it takes a long time before these are released for research by the public.

Edited by Odulf