News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Georgian and Victorian truncheons

Hi all new to this site was told someone on here would know what i purchased yesterday from an antique shop in London.The first a torpedo type truncheon with GR to top and feintly dated 1829 the second a jointed type with VR crown and the date 1838.I got these as they looked very interesting and old anyone know anything please as i cant find much on the net.Cheers

The top one is a 'Bludgeon' - which led to the word to bludgeon someone - or beat them.

These were often carried by civilians in the tail pockets of the old swallow tailed coatees. The early police also sometimes carried them -

but then, they will have a coat of arms painted on the top. These are particularly rare. Please take close-ups of any decoration on the

top. The two parts are joined by two pieces of rope - sometimes longer than on this example.

The second truncheon is known as a Baluster style and it was popular in the areas around Manchester. I can see traces of paintwork -

see if you can get a clearer shot - or, tell me what it says ? 1829 makes it King George 4th (1820-30)

The painted end to this makes it look similar to the staves used in the Church 'Beating the Bounds' annual ceremony. The procession

put the staves in the ground to show the Parish boundaries.

Airwarrior ( please let us have a first name) - you have a really good Constabulary bludgeon - with the decoration I described.

Are 1,2,and 3 all of this item ? Even with magnification the details are not too clear - do a drawing and show both sides - you

can photograph and then send in the usual way.

I look forward to seeing the details on both. Mervyn

Mervyn the bludgeon has the victoria crown and VR either side all hand painted this is pic 1 from all postings.The baluster style has 1829 painted by hand around it and GR to the tip just evident no crowns or insigniaIll try and get better pics for you this week.Are these worth anything do you know please i would like to know as they both certainly look rare that is why i have purchased them i usually collect militaria but these caught my eye.Andy

The Bludgeon is painted with the Edward Crown and the Royal Cypher VR. This makes it an official piece - and at a time when ID's or

Warrant Cards didn't exist - the painted truncheon - or, in this case the Bludgeon - represented the Constable's Authority and had to be

presented when making an arrest. With all my years of collecting I only had two similar ones - unpainted ones were civilian and of

moderate value. I would say this should be worth at least 500 pounds, $800. Possibly more to a dedicated collector - however, as

with all collectables you have to find the right person. The history of the Constabulary link is all important.

The Baluster Truncheon - whilst dated and Georgian - is probably only some 10 or 20 years older. GR of course stands for Georgius Rex

- King George 4th. (A fat toad of note ! ) Probably 200 to 300 pounds. $480. Mervyn