News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown Military or Orange, Possibly Scottish?

Hello All,

I have included a picture of my great, great grandfather Newman. We were told that his name was William, and that he was Scottish. He appears to be in civil dress, though we were told he was military, somewhere. The only word I can make out for sure on his accoutrments? (ribbons) I'm not sure what the type shown in the picture are called, is that of "Hancock" along the top of the lower section of the innermost ribbon. Is this Orangeman dress? We think the picture is dated around 1875.

As this is my only chance of following the heritage line back, any assistance or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Deas - I fully agree with Ulsterman that he was an Orangeman. Datewise, the style of clothing would indicate a period between

1860 - 1880 - or, even a little later.

Welcome to GMIC - you may already know the history of the Orange Order and how William 3rd.set it up in Northern Ireland

when he became the joint Monarch with Queen Mary. However, this post could be enlarged for member's comments and added

history - provided we can avoid the political side. Mervyn