News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My first post!

I have a truncheon that probably belonged to my great-grandfather in East Kilbride, Lanarkshire. Whether he, himself, carried it is unknown. It is quite plain, 20.25" long, with a crown and VR as the only markings. Can anyone suggest what kind of poilce would use this and in what era?

Tom

Hello Tom......

Welcom to the forum.......

The Truncheon is a police issue from the Victorian era.......

The V.R. stands for Victoria Regina or Queen Victoria......

There is a truncheon collector here in the forum and maybe he can add some more information.....

Mike

Tom - this should really be on our Police Forum - however, we are quite happy to leave it here. Firstly, welcome to GMIC - I hope you will

be able to join-in with general discussions.

This is a Special Constable's truncheon - for a Parish or Town it would probably have a coat of arms, or a name. Queen Victoria came to

the throne in 1837 and died in 1901 - She is our longest reigning Monarch. The early period of Her reign was a turbulent period and there

were many riots and minor insurrections. The local Parish had the responsibility of appointing Special Constables to help maintain law and

order - and this one follows a fairly standard pattern. There is nothing to identify it as Scottish - however, the local Parish - or, perhaps a local

museum, may still have the rolls. I may well have passed through East Kilbride - if i have done so, then it left no impression on me. Perhaps

one of our Scottish members will be able to help you with some guidance for the Parish and a museum ? Mervyn

Tom.

I have one almost identical to this, but squared off at the end and with the additional painted inscription 'FP 2225'.

The police in my neck of the woods were known as 'Fifeshire Police' around 1840.

They later became Fifeshire Constabulary, then Fife Constabulary.

On that basis, I think your truncheon would date to around 1840-50.

Robin - the FP is probably the Parish - it tended to be their responsibility to swear-in local Specials to deal with specific events.

The number does seem exceptionally large - one thought, and I have seen this happen. Should the area affected be large, then

more then one Parish is involved. This should represent Parish No. 2 and then the number of Specials. Mervyn