News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dress cartridge box

Markgraf - a very nice pouch badge - does it have silver marks. Dates between 1910 and 1935. I will check a ref. book tomorrow,

however, I think it is an Hussar Regt.. Hopefully, someone will make a quick positive ID. Mervyn

According to "Battle Honours of the British and Commonwealth Armies" (Baker, 1986), the following British regiments were present at El Bodon (25th Sep 1811): 11th Light Dragoons, 5th (2nd Bn), 60th, 74th, 77th and 83rd Foot. Of these regiments, the 11th LD, 5th and 77th Foot all applied for the battle honour (the 11th LD were refused in 1838). All regiments above were entitled to the Peninsula battle honour, but only the 11th Light Dragoons were present at Waterloo and awarded that battle honour.

Now, that's the ethnic British units, but there's also the King's German Legion... The 1st Regiment of Hussars of the King's German Legion also fought at El Bodon, according to Wikipedia they were awarded the battle honour for it (the only unit within the KGL awarded that battle honour) and presumably also the Peninsula battle honour. They were also present at Waterloo...

How does all this fit in with the George V cypher??? The 11th Hussars seemed to have different battle honours in their design... I'm really curious as to which unit used this pouch!

/Jonas

Edited by GRA

I think Hanoverian, the GV cypher would be for Georg V (1851-66) this would make more sense.

Paul

Paul: You are genius!

According Knötel's note : "Das Motto des Garde-Hussar-Regiment lautete: Peninsula - Waterloo - El Bodon"

Thank You very much Gentlemen! It was tricky! :beer:

Good identification Paul. This will account for the Royal Cypher being more ornate in design. Also, the mark that Markgraf has

shown is not British - could be a Continental mark - or, perhaps a Regt. identification ? Mervyn