News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

F.R case made by Arthus Bertrand, Béranger and Magdelaine of Paris.

obi007

Hi

This presentation case dates between 1901 and 1917 when this was the full name of the Paris jewellers firm now known as Arthus-Bertrand & Cie. It may well have been used to house a Legion of honor badge, either a chevalier or an officer. Quite possibly a Great War award.

The firm is still one of the important manufacturers of orders and decorations in France, possibly the best private firm., Their finest products are beautifully finished (and very expensive) badges.

I hope this helps

Veteran

Edited by Veteran

• 4 weeks later...

Hello:

I take the liberty to amplify the observation posted by veteran concerning the company of Arthus-Bertrand by picturing a pair of miniature decorations of a modest level which were acquired a little over two years ago. The case in which these miniatures were provided show the company name, year of founding and location.

The workmanship is superb with the reverses also finished and the ribbons with their suspension displaying a very nice appearance. The case reflects good quality. So it seems that this manufacturer at least until quite recently mantains a high standard of workmanship and appearance.

I was indeed rather pleased to wear my main decorations which they happen to be for the first and possibly only time at a semi-official function to which I had been invited. This was to observe a day of remembrance in 2011of an officer who was elected to give his name to the 2012 graduating class of the French Army Officers Academy St.Cyr due to his outstanding but sadly short career, the Capitaine Xavier de Cacqueray. Under his orders I had served in Vietnam during the 1950's.

Bernhard H. Holst

Edited by Bernhard H.Holst