News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Were StuG considered artillery, infantry, or panzer weapons? Were the crew members of a StuG artillerymen or infantry? Or Panzertruppen?

I've seen the term "Sturmartillerie" used in relationship to StuG... Was that considered a branch of the Artillerie... like Leicht, Schwer, or Gebirgs?

I know nothing really of the WW2 Wehrmacht, so excuse me if this is too simple, obvious, or downright silly question... :unsure:

Edited by IrishGunner

Hello Rick.

Sturmatillerie was considered Artillerie and were to use Waffenfarbe ( color of arm) red which was that of artillery and grey colored uniforms.

But the deathheads and black uniform color of Panzertruppe ( color of arm Pink) being so much more attractive, oftentimes transgressions took place. Sturmartillerie had their own schools and the introduction of Sturmhaubitzen was resented and considered detimental. It cause production obstacles, did not do well in anti-tank role in which Sturmgeschuetze were mostly used, cause supply difficulties and so on.

BTW: after WWII only the new West German Army continued the application of assault guns on the NATO side.

Bernhard H. Holst

Thanks Bernhard.

So, I wonder how the Sturmartillerie related to "Panzerartillerie"... ?

Hello Rick.

There really was no relationship. All artillery within a Panzerdivision were called Panzerartillery even though only a small proportion of the divisional artillery were truly Panzerartillerie which conveys armored artillery. Those were the units equipped with the "Wespe" (105 mm) and Hummel (155mm) under armored protection and self propelled.

To muddy the waters here a bit, Sturmartillerie were also trained in indirect firing which I believe (being not very much informed in such matters). is the main method of artillery shoots but rarely had to resort to it while deployed in the field.

Bernhard H. Holst

Bernhard, that's helpful, thank you. This explains why I've seen photos of "Panzerartillerie" that is towed by horses... :P

As for "indirect fire" with the StuG... That had to be difficult considering the gun carriage. Actually, tanks usually train in basic indirect fire and artillery trains in direct fire; the opposite modes of usual fire - for emergencies. Artillery in direct fire is usually for battery defense, but I've actually direct fired 155mm shells into log crib obstacles...very effective demolition. ;)

Edited by IrishGunner