News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

indian colonial helmet

A superb brass helmet - and it appears to be in excellent condition , with all straps and fittings complete. Really just seems to

need a good clean.

I note that the badge is a Lion's head with a wreath surround. This matches the heads on the strap supporters on the sides.

I presume the original description of Indian is from an auction catalogue - I would have no problem with that. The question

has to be is this a particular Regiment or, is it a generic pattern for a specific type of cavalry ?

Perhaps our Indian collectors - and indeed, our Helmet experts, will be able to comment ? Mervyn

I've seen several like it over the years, but don't ask me for specifics. I'd say, pretty confidently, that its a eighteenth or nineteenth century Indian copy of a British style, so probably made for one of the princely states, either in India or the UK but probably the former. Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, it was quite common for Native States to adopt bits of British uniform. The Afghan Army actually had a kilted regiment at one point!

Here's a link to a particularly fine example from Gwalior: http://www.nam.ac.uk/online-collection/detail.php?acc=1952-06-4-1

And here are three more examples: http://www.jbma.com.au/militaria/default.aspx

These are clearly higher quality and made for British Indian forces, but the principal holds, I think. Yours may be intended for cavalry or even artillery of one of the raja's armies. Quite rare and, I should think, fairly valuable if you can get a clear identification.

I'll poke around and see what I can find out.

Edited by peter monahan