News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I have an old photo of an ancestor who served in the Infantry in World War One. He has a patch or badge on his collar (hard to tell, the photo is somewhat fuzzy) which resembles an upright spade (like the card suit) on some form of horizontal base.

Interestingly enough, the comic character Lord Henry Baltimore has a similar insignia:

2551613-baltimore_the_plague_ships_ww1.j

Edited by UK_IN_US

UK-IN-US, welcome to GMIC. We could give a better answer if you could post the actual picture of your ancestor.

It is quite possible the cartoon drawing takes some artistic license. What I know of the back story of the comic, Captain Baltimore was in an infantry regiment. So, while the drawing looks like Royal Artillery or Royal Engineer bombs, they may not actually be such. We don't know what was in the artist's mind since I haven't found a reference to a specific regiment for Baltimore in a Google search.

Does anyone know of an infantry regiment with similar shape collar dogs for officers?