News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

PORTUGUESE MEDALS

Connected with my research on Admiral FERNANDO EDUARDO PINTO de ORNELAS e VASCONCELOS I am looking to source a Medalha Naval Comemorativa do 5º Centenário da Morte Infante Dom Henrique (prata)

Any advice members could suggest on sourcing this medal would be appreciated.

Adrian

MEDALHA NAVAL COMEMORATIVA DO 5º CENTENÁRIO DA MORTE DO INFANTE D. HENRIQUE.

Decree 43085 of July 22, 1960, a naval award was created to celebrate the 5th centenary of the death of Henry the Navigator (1960).
    It was intended for military and civilian, domestic or foreign, who had contributed prominently in national anniversary celebrations of the death of Prince.
    The medal was circular, with two classes: gold (1,000 copies) and Silver (2,000 copies); granting was accompanied by the relevant degree numbered respectively 1 to 1000 and 1 to 2,000. (Rarely found medal) Incorporating several Portuguese motifs (Order of Christ and Avis etc). Obverse inscribed: "TALANT DE BIEN FAIRE"; reverse: "QVINTO CENTENÁRIO DA MORTE DO INFANTE D. HENRIQUE".".

It turns out that, contrary to stipulated by decree, concessions numbers were not, it seems, respected since they were not granted many medals as allowed, whether the grade gold or silver.

The awards took place between the years 1960 and 1963, and the names of awarded (including domestic and foreign institutions, the decree did not provide) have always been published in the Official Gazette of the Portuguese Navy, the "Order to the Army''.

Cheers

Lambert

Lambert

Thank you for the translation it is appreciated. I have now sourced the medal in silver. What I would like to complete the medal is the Mounting Device & Buckle? in silver as in the attached image. Any ides on a source for these would be appreciated. I intend to mount in a frame the Diploma & Medal together.

Adrian

2vi5n3r.jpg