News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Star of Romania

Hi Everyone.

I have joined this forum to try and gain some clarity around the Order of the Star of Romania. My library does not cover this award, and information on the net is confusing to say the least. 

I am specifically trying to understand the difference between forth and fifth class awards for WWI military awards. ie first type. 

If anyone could advise of a good book, website or supply some pictures I would be grateful.  

Rich

Welcome. This site is quite a good starting point for information and Megan's site a good resource for images.

Can you be more specific what you would like to know about 4th and 5th classes? Is it appearance or criteria for award (the latter ca be quite tricky)? Also, what do you understand by "military awards", awards given to military during wartime or at any time?

Thanks for the swift reply Carol I

Both really. Appearance and criteria - but specifically when awarded to British soldiers during World War One, so during time of war.

I understand that images on the link you gave would be similar but with swords for military awards. Would that be correct?

Rich

The 4th class was supposed to be gilt, while the 5th class was in silver or silvered. In practice, once the upper layer had worn off they got a similar appearance especially when the base metal was common or when the silver oxidised. There was also a difference in the ribbons, with the 4th class having a rosette. There were also some differences in appearance that had to do with the type of the award: peacetime military awards has swords above the cross (see the commander's cross on Megan's site under "With Swords" and compare it with the civilian version under "Civilian Normal Type I"), while wartime awards had swords between the arms of the cross (see here an image of a grand cross). Furthermore, military awards could be awarded from WWI on the Military Virtue ribbon for bravery awards.

In general the criteria for awards were quite strict and one had to slowly climb through the hierarchy of the order. Nevertheless, deviations from the rule were accepted in extraordinary circumstances in wartime or for foreign recipients when there was some correlation between military rank and class of the award. These being said, the number of British military contributing directly to the Romanian war effort was very small and in my opinion most awards were of a more diplomatic character: the Romanian War Ministry asked the corresponding British one to name outstanding officers that contributed in general to the war effort or others that helped Romania from afar and that would deserve an award to strengthen the links between the two countries. There are however reports of the British Ministry abusing the occasion and naming officers at random (e.g., some that never set foot in the European theatre of war).

Excellent. Exactly what I needed to clear the confusion. 

I may call on your assistance again shortly with regards to the Medalia Barbatie Si Creinta. The medal and classes I understand. Award criteria for each I am struggling with. Or will this fall under the same diplomatic "pot luck" award?

Sincere thanks. 

I'm afraid that I do not have the same amount of knowledge on the medal "Barbatie si Credinta" and therefore I cannot help you much. I can only say that the award system was segregated based on rank: officers received orders and lower ranks received medals. In this system, Virtutea Militara was the highest award for bravery during WWI (corresponding to the Michael the Brave Order for officers) and Barbatie si Credinta was the lower award (corresponding roughly to the Order of the Star and the Order of the Crown for officers).

There are not so many references on Romanian awards. One of the English language ones is Antti Ruokonen's book on Romanian Orders. If you can read Romanian you could also look for I. Safta, R. Jipa, T. Velter, F. Marinescu: Decoraţii româneşti de război 1860-1947 [Romanian War Decorations 1860-1947] Bucharest 1992 (ISBN 973-95217-6-2) or S. Catone, N. Şerbănescu, D. Bedivan: România - Decoraţii 1859-1991 [Romania - Decorations 1859-1991] Bucharest 1992, but these are rather old and outdated.