News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Warrior Women

Guest Rick Research

1870-71 frontline combat nurse's "noncombatant" Franco-Prussian War Medal, as worn

[attachmentid=32944]

reverse (pin missing or perhaps this was sewn on and off)

[attachmentid=32945]

scanned today from a local collection. :beer:

Guest Rick Research

Nope. That, idiotically, was the medal for stay at homes.

As Mister Spock would say, "totally illogical."

See von Hessenthal and Schreiber #s 391-393

"Band A f?r K?mpfer und truppen in der Heimat." ("welche die feindliche Grenze nicht ?berschritten hatten" i.e. the Stay At Homes)

"Band B f?r Nichtk?mpfer."

Now you and I would have given the frontline non-arms-bearers the combatant ribbon and steel medal and the stay at homes the steel on noncombatant...

but that is not what was done.

Steel medals on combatant ribbon stayed home.

Steel medals on "noncombatant" ribbon were at the front unable to shoot back. :speechless:

Nope. That, idiotically, was the medal for stay at homes.

As Mister Spock would say, "totally illogical."

See von Hessenthal and Schreiber #s 391-393

"Band A f?r K?mpfer und truppen in der Heimat." ("welche die feindliche Grenze nicht ?berschritten hatten" i.e. the Stay At Homes)

"Band B f?r Nichtk?mpfer."

Now you and I would have given the frontline non-arms-bearers the combatant ribbon and steel medal and the stay at homes the steel on noncombatant...

but that is not what was done.

Steel medals on combatant ribbon stayed home.

Steel medals on "noncombatant" ribbon were at the front unable to shoot back. :speechless:

Hallo Rick, :beer: with regards the medals awarded to "female" frontline non-combatant, just how close to the fighting would they have actually been? or were they like Florence Nightingale and her staff, in medical positions to the immediate rear of the fighting??

Kevin in Deva :cheers:

Guest Brian von Etzel

Curious how many of these women were killed. Imagine male stretcher bearers brought the wounded back to the hospitals?

Guest Rick Research

From the medal's creation statutes, "crossing the enemy frontier" would have been all that was minimally required.

But "Travelling Women" wouldn't have sounded as catchy.