News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I am in the USA and recently purchased a South Africa Medal issued to 1775 Pte. J McCue 90th Foot.  I generally collect US medals but have a few British medals.  Where can I obtain information on the recipient?  Many years ago I had contact with a researcher who provided me with a lot of documentation on my Crimea pair that confirmed my recipient as a Heavy Brigade charger, unfortunately I no longer have his address

Depending on how much time and interest you have, it is now possible to search a lot of the records online, as Ancestry.com has purchased the rights from the National Archives at Kew.  I have a basic membership, which only gets me Canadian records in full and lists of British records, but a membership is not expensive if you plan to keep collecting and researching.  

Here's some basic information from the Archives, with links to Ancestry and other resources: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-military-campaign-and-service-medals/

Good luck!

His full service records are available online on Findmypast.com at this link if you can gain access: Findmypast Service Record for 1775 James McCue 2nd Scottish Rifles Upon his discharge in 1889 his role was as his Company's Pioneer, the South Africa Medal, bar 1879 was his only medal earned, he had plenty of the usual ailments over his career, during his service in Calcutta around 1880 he received an accidental slight wound on duty from a local.