News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Waterloo Medal 1833 :

Iain Wood

Good afternoon everyone…, and thanks for having me.

First post with a quick presentation followed by a question if I may.

Former L/Sgt. Left Flank 2nd Bn. The Scots Guards. (‘the Light Company, 2nd Bn. 3rd Regiment of Foot Guards’)  This was the same Company in 1815 at Hougoumont that had Matthew Clay (author of the Waterloo and Quatre-Bras Narrative) plus Ralph Fraser…, reputed to have been the most decorated man in the British Army.

Author, and one ‘defunct’ Vol-1 with 500 books gathering dust in the attic.  Defunct, because I’m discovering new Hougoumont events on a monthly basis.  My Vol-1 was already out-of-date before the boxes even arrived in Belgium. (I live near Waterloo)

A very brief story leading to my question:  Note…, to save space and ink, I will be abbreviating the three regiments:  Grenadier Guards - GG / Scots – SG / Coldstream – CG.  I will also be using assault and support platoons instead of ‘half companies,’ as the 1815 term does not provide us with their position.

As you all know, Lt. Col. Macdonell (CG) was in charge of the chateau-farm, and at 10h00 (being the start of the battle according to Wellington) he commanded two Guards Light Companies.  One x SG and one x CG, and they were outside in the western kitchen garden. (the two GG Companies belonging to Lord Saltoun had since returned to the ridge)

Following the retreat of the Allies from the wood at about 10h45, Macdonell ordered the two assault platoons to counter attack. (the support platoons never entered the wood)  Without going into detail, this attack was badly controlled, ill-fated and a total disaster. (a third of them were either killed, taken prisoner, or obliged to retreat behind lines)  Because of it, he needed scapegoats, and as a result, he Courts-Martialled 49 Guardsmen. (16 x CG – 18 x SG – 15 x GG)  These men were totally innocent, nonetheless, two of them, (SG) Sgt. Corbett and Cpl. George Cadwallader received 300 lashes each on the 29th of June.   Of course, all 49 didn’t receive their Waterloo Medals, and those with rank were demoted and all were deprived of privileges including alcohol for the remainder of their service.

Next year, it is my intention to recover these medals via the MOD for RHQ, as I hold the proof that they were all innocent. 

Corbett was transferred to another Regiment, however, Cadwallader remained, and was an excellent soldier.  Obviously, a likable fellow who gained sympathy with the Officers. (as they all knew the facts)  In the meantime, and on approaching his demob, his CO wrote a letter to the Regimental Adjutant asking for his Waterloo Medal to be returned.  In his letter, he says, “after all, the medal only depicts that he was at Waterloo.”  Meaning that the medal was not in compensation for a good service record. 

And there’s my problem.  I do not have the proof that he received it.

He’s not mentioned on the Waterloo Medal list, despite certain experts informing me that medals presented later than 1816 were still added to the book.

I wrote twice to the Royal Mint and on both occasions, they didn’t reply. 

As RHQ know nothing about the Courts-Martial or the COs request for the return of the medal, what should I do to find the details ?

If I find that he did recover the medal, this will bolster my demand during the Court of Appeal. 

Thanks in advance.

Kind ReGuards…, Iain.