News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Kaiser Frederich Wilhelm Order of the Garter Uniform Button

Hello. 

I wonder if anyone can add some context to this tailcoat and button. 

My research thus far has found that Kaiser Frederich Wilhelm was awarded the British "Order of the Garter" on his eighteenth birthday in 1877 by his grandmother Queen Victoria.   

The back mark of this button is "Jennins & Co. London" a firm which went out of business in 1912.   

The tailor emblem in the collar of the tailcoat is "Paul Kupferschmidt Neustrelitz". 

On the left breast are two attachment loops for a breast star. 

Having discovered this much, I am interested to know from what organization this tailcoat originated and if anyone can shed any further light on its use?

I am grateful for any information!  

20220607_163807_resize.jpg

20220604_201851_resize.jpg

20220604_201951_resize.jpg

Simius....

Thanks for your information.  Very interesting to learn this.  I followed your search terms and found some websites with some most interesting button information and photos.  None of the sites showed this particular button however.  That would have been real serendipity! 

Do you think that my reading of the fancy script in the center is really "F W" and if so is there anyone else besides Frederich Wilhelm who could have these initials while also being a member of the Order of the Garter and living in Germany, or having this coat made there?   

I do not know, but it somehow seems odd that he would have livery servants involved wearing buttons of the Order.  It seems like he would have had more important things and awards on his mind, unless this uniform dates to his youthful years immediately after receiving the award. 

Additionally, if this was a servant's uniform it seems odd that this person would wear a breast star.  Somehow it is difficult to put this all together.  Any thoughts?

Thanks for your assistance.  I chose this thread for the posting as I had assumed from the tailor label and the presumably Prussian Crown on the button that this was the better choice.  That aside, can you decipher the fancy letters on the button?   They appear to me to be "F W".  What is your take?

Edited by MilitariaCollector2

Excellent.  Thank you for our kind assistance identifying this garment and its buttons.  It is interesting that there were two persons with very similar names...and the same initials... living at just about the same time...and both were members of the Order of the Garter.  It was only your expertise that identified the correct one.  Do you think that the details of the monogram changed over time?  I ask because they are not an exact match.  Do the monograms possibly vary generation to generation or over time?  Finally, it is odd that there are attachments for a breast star on the uniform.  Picture is included with a white device inserted to show their location.  Any ideas?  I am grateful for your passing on the knowledge!

20220604_201851_resize.jpg

OIP.jpg

20220608_133556_resiz.jpg

Edited by MilitariaCollector2