News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

American military rank baton?

Does any of our Amrican friends know what this American baton was used for? It is made of copper, the tube part is about 32 cm long with a diameter of 3cm. The ends can be removed and the inside is hollow. The baton is adorned by six eagles at the top and three at the bottom.  My guess is that it was used as a militay baton, but for which purpose? If anyoone can give me more information, I will be grateful, this baton has been in my cupboard already for many years.

Regards, Pieter

P1050215 (1).JPG

P1050214.JPG

Edited by pieter1012

The fact that it is hollow with removeable ends suggests to me that it was a courier device used for the secure transmission of messages.  Similar devices, often ornate silver, have been used in India in the 18th and 19th centuries.  Just guessing, but the style looks early 19th century.  Don't think it has anything to do with the rank of the user.  While the US Army / Marine Corps have a tradition of swagger sticks, they normally are not indicators of rank.  

What makes you think it's American other than the eagles?

Edited by Hugh

Hi Hugh,

thanks for your reaction. A courier device for messages sounds very pausible. I initially thought of rank, because before in  Europe, general officers sometimes carried a baton with their letter of appointment rolled up in the baton.

The initials US on the top of the baton made me conclude it is American, but of course I can be wrong.

Regards,

Pieter

Hi Simius Rex,

thank you for your comments. The cannister could indeed have been used for storing maps, small ones as the tube is not that large. I think to store a promotion document is still a realistic possibility, as I wrote before, it was done in Europe, the most famous ones, being of course the Marshall batons. Whatever its use was, it is a nice looking object.

Regards,

Pieter

On 09/06/2022 at 13:22, Simius Rex said:

... because one of the canister's caps bears the letters "U S" 

Talk about ignoring the obvious!  Shame on me!

H