News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Winterberg Battle May 1917

Hi Guys.

This article appeared on May 19th, 2022 in the Sued Kurier Paper of Konstanz/Bodensee (Lake Constance).

The article is regarding the battle of the Konstanz RJR 111 at the Winterberg Tunnel near Craonne/Aisne by May 1917.

The regiment was under heavy artillery fire and suffered terrible losses with dozens of casualties buried inside the tunnel.

The tunnel has been reopened recently and excavations were taken place under the supervision of the French- and German Government.

Exhibitions of the battle field excavations will be shown in Konstanz and in the State Archive of Karsruhe/Baden.

IMG_1937.jpeg

IMG_1938 (1).jpeg

• 3 months later...

Hi, Guys,

here is another article regarding the Winterberg-Tunnel which appeared in Sued Kurier # 168 on July 23rd , 2022. It is also listed in the Internet under www.leo-bw.de

Researching the coat of the fallen soldier at the archives revealed the following : the shoulder  boards belonged  to RIR 111 but in the side pockets were shoulder boards found from IR 114.

His name was Unteroffizier Jakob Knoepfle of IR 114. He was transferred at the beginning of WWI to RIR 111 which was formed in Konstanz with Btls, I-III and the MGK. The regiment became part of the 28th RD.

CO          Oberstlt. Ley

I.Btl.      Major Caesar

II.Btl.     Major Schroeder

III.Btl.    Major Kaufmann

Casualties           :               81 officers and 2150 menIMG_2127.thumb.jpeg.227c8d0e20481343528cbca2126dfe04.jpeg