News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Netherlands Lion, single medal bar Orange-Nassau and long service award

Hello,

my very first post in this forum, I hope everything is conform and all right.

A short while ago I bought a collection with main focus on pricy forgein medals (everything not German).

When I find the time I will present the rest aswell.

So I got among other things those three beautiful medals from the Netherlands.

An Order of the Netherlands Lion and a single medal bar Orange-Nassau, aswell as a long service medal for 10 years. 

976887071_OrdendesniederlndischenLwen1.thumb.jpg.09f4c93596ebbaa98fc606191a28af85.jpg

603896172_OrangeNassau1.thumb.jpg.15135e0eeb2ee01115bc5250a6d23a53.jpg

1368214772_OrangeNassau2.thumb.jpg.000cc284080b3937477cbadc3c1992d8.jpg

741355680_OrangeNassau3.thumb.jpg.4931cb1d945c06e25f34b492c76d3750.jpg

115625130_HollndischeDA2.thumb.jpg.9ad3c24fa25566eb8c36af8716644907.jpg

2142780917_HollndischeDA1.thumb.jpg.43e9253968630a0938f37f0eea4b0ddd.jpg

But since the Netherlands are not really my main focus of attention, I would like to part from them and are now in need of the approximate value of those medals.

Of course I tried first to search on Google, but since there are so many different versions of those medals I'm a bit clueless. And for the long service award, I dont find one similar example Maybe someone here can help me a bit out.

Every constructive answer is welcome :) 

Greetings 

• 11 months later...

Dear Preußenstolz,

These really are some lovely decorations.

As for the Order of the Netherlands Lion, Knight's Class, these are quite rare. They have to be returned upon the death of the recipient normally, hence why there are very few for sale online. Looking at websites like eMedals, I'd estimate it to be worth anything between 50 and 75 euros. This also depends on it's age, the recipient etc. It might be much more, given it's rarity.

The Order of Orange-Nassau is of what looks like a Knight with Swords, mounted in quite an interesting Prussian-mount. The modern Knight's class has the crown and details in silver, but older ones are in gilt. These old ones usually go for 300-400 euros.

Finally the Officer's Cross for Long Service. This example was awarded for 20 years of service, as the front says 'XX'. To receive the cross, an officer has to serve for at least 15 years. Every 5 years the cross is replaced, to reflect the extra years of service (XV, XX, XXV etc..). Until 1866, the decoration was not worn as an actual medal, but more like what we would now consider a ribbon. I'd estimate it is worth between 50 and 75 euros.

Do note that while I do consider myself a medal enthusiast and have worked for the Dutch Institute for Military History before, I am not in any way qualified to give you a definite estimate as to the medal's worth. In any case, I wouldn't sell them. 

Best wishes,
    Mitchel.