News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Original 1778 commission for the Seaforth Highlanders

Hello all. I am in the US and am dealing with this document for a family member. I am a collector but this is outside of my experience. 

This appears to be an original 8 January 1778 copy of the service letter (or commission or warrant or whatever it's called) from George III to Kenneth Mackenzie, Earl of Seaforth, to recruit a Highland Regiment of Foot.

My limited research indicates it represents a regiment that would eventually become the Seaforth Highlanders. It was presumably created in response to the recent loss at Saratoga and with the knowledge that the French might be close to joining the Americans (which they did in March 1778). 

The regiment was designated the 78th or Ross-shire Regiment of Highlanders. In 1783 (or 1786) it was renumbered the 72nd (Highland) Regiment of Foot. In 1823 it was renamed the 72nd (Duke of Albany's Own Highlanders) after Frederick Augustus, Duke of York and Albany. In 1881 it was combined with the 78th (Highlanders) Regiment of Foot (the Ross-shire Buffs, which was formed in 1793 by Francis Humberston Mackenzie, a later Earl of Seaforth) to form The Seaforth Highlanders (Ross-shire Buffs, The Duke of Albany's).

While trying to educate myself on its history, I have found a few sources, and see another is posted in this thread

I hope that some find this of interest. 

Seaforth (1).jpg

Edited by 909

I hope I've not posted this on the wrong site - is this something that is not of general interest, or perhaps it's considered a reproduction? I'm curious because if it were for an American regiment from 1778 I would be very excited to have it. 

If originality is the issue, I believe it is given the paper on which it's printed, but I'm not an expert. I'm also not well versed on these - maybe they're not uncommon. However, for the sake of discussion, If we go with the assumption it is original, is there any interest out there in this sort of thing? I'd like to get input from some knowledgeable collectors. Maybe someone has seen one of these before or knows someone who has. 

Happy Christmas!