News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Post-2003 Reform Order of the Sacred Treasure

TracA

I have seen many great Post-2003 Reform OSTs peppered throughout this forum, but I wanted to sort of bring them together under a single thread. My reason is to provide, to the best of my ability, detailed descriptions; measurements; etc. of these pieces. In this sense I hope to build on Nyle Monday’s “Recent Reforms in the Japanese Honor System” from 2005 (Journal of the Orders and Medals Society of America Vol. 56, No. 6), an article written 18 years ago and before he had the chance to examine in hand any of the Post-2003 Reform orders. His article can be found here: http://www.omsa.org/files/jomsa_arch/Splits/2005/387105_JOMSA_Vol56_6_25.pdf

I won't bother with a detailed description of the “core” part of the Post-2003 Reform OSTs that were carried over from the pre-2003 orders, as such a description is easily available in either Peterson’s Orders and Medals of Japan and Associated States, Third Edition or Wikipedia at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Sacred_Treasure. I will, however, have a thing or two to say about the lacquered cases. 

A note about the Wikipedia article: the article states that the OST represents all three of the Imperial treasures: Yata mirror, Yasakani jewel, and the grass cutting sword. The article claims that the enameled white rays represent the sword. This assertion is repeated on some other websites discussing the OST. Perhaps the author of this section of the Wikipedia article assumes (1) that the OST must by necessity represent all three of the Imperial Regalia instead of just two and (2) that the white enameled rays obviously represent the sword because the rays end in a point, like a sword would. This is the first time that I have seen such an assertion. On page 34 of the third edition of his book Peterson quotes from the Imperial Edict establishing the OST (No. 1 January 4, 1888) and his second quoted sentence is quite clear: “‘[t]he badge is decorated with the Mirror and Gems.’” If the Imperial Edict had mentioned that the grass cutting sword was also represented in the badge’s design, then I assume that Peterson would have quoted that. The author of the Wikipedia article cites no source for the claim that the OST represents all three Imperial treasures.

A note about my measurements and photos: I used a digital caliper that is accurate to within .01mm and I rounded up or down as appropriate. The measurements are of the particular pieces that I own but I assume that they are very close to what the standard measurements should be. My pictures are from a cell phone and not taken in the best lighting, so the pictures might not represent the true colors with the highest degree of accuracy. My pictures of case lids are at an angle in order to minimize, to the greatest extent possible, the reflection in the lacquer.

For now I only possess the lowest four Post-2003 Reform OSTs, corresponding to the pre-reform 6th, 5th, 4th, and 3rd classes (the pre-reform 8th and 7th classes having been abolished as part of the reform). Truth be told I do not foresee myself being able to obtain the top two, but one never knows. I hope that you find this thread interesting and by all means please add to it, improve it, and comment on it as you see fit.

I will start this off with the OST Silver Rays, formally the 6th class, and then post again when my documentation and write-up for the next medal is ready.

Thank you,

Tracy

The Order of the Sacred Treasure, Silver Rays. Formally the 6th class in the pre-reform orders.

The triangular ribbon shape has been retained and it is approximately 47mm (at its widest part) by 40mm long. The color is a shade of blue, and after looking through 144 different shades of blue to me the ribbon color looks closest to cornflower blue but I have no idea what the official color is. On the ribbon is a 4mm gold stripe that is 3mm from each edge.

The central design is per the pre-reform medal: white enameled rays, paste jewels and their connecting lines in red (on page 34 of the third edition of his book Peterson uses the term “red paste”, implying that the jewels and their connecting lines are a type of cut glass), polished silver mirror on a dark blue enameled background, all non-enameled medal surfaces in silver. Like the pre-reform medal, the width of the new medal is approximately 40mm from ray tip to ray tip. However, given the new suspension the length is now approximately 57mm from the top of the 12h paulownia flower to the tip of either of the longest bottom two rays. The suspension is new and appears to be the same suspension device used on the post-reform Order of the Rising Sun, with the exception of the enameling on the obverse leaves and flower stems. On the OST Silver Rays the three paulownia leaves and flower stems are enameled white and the leaves have silver veins. The flowers are in a 3; 5; 3 configuration, are enameled light purple, and the silver medal fills in between them and the stems. The piece on the suspension through which the metal ring attaching the ribbon is threaded is no longer in the shape of a ball, it is now in the shape of a puck.

The entire reverse is silver with a sandblasted looking finish, in contrast to the smooth finish of the pre-reform OSTs. At approximately the midway point of the 3h and 9h arms is a phillips head screw, obviously fasteners for the two piece construction. Like the pre-reform pieces, the four “order of merit” characters are arranged in a square in the center of the badge. The reverse of the leaves and flowers suspension device is flat and featureless; there is no detailed representation of the flowers and stems, and this is just like the reverse of the suspension device of the post-reform Orders of the Rising Sun. My example has the hallmark J6 stamped on the bottom leaf at 6h. As of July 27, 2023 this hallmark is not listed on the wonderful Medals of Asia website at https://asiamedals.info/threads/two-letter-and-letter-digit-marks-on-japanese-orders-and-medals.13720/.

The case in my example is black lacquered wood. I know this for a fact because there is damage to the right, inside edge of the top of the case and the wood is clearly showing through. The case is approximately 65mm wide by 130mm long by 30mm high. The top and bottom are joined by a silver colored hinge at the back, fully visible when the lid is open and with three phillips head screws on the top and the bottom hinge plates. The lid is secured by a pin-and-hole silver clasp with a circle-next-to-circle design bordered by a smooth edge. The inside top is of a purple colored satin like material, and the medalbed, recessed in the outline of the medal, is a purple colored velvet like material.

The round rosette is of the same colors as the ribbon, blue with six gold stripes radiating from the center. There is no hallmark on the metal portion of it.

Obverse with rosette:

Post 2003 OST Silver Rays Obv Rosette.jpg

Reverse (note the J6 hallmark stamped on the bottom leaf at 6h):

Post 2003 OST Silver Rays Rev.jpg

Lacquered case lid with the script 瑞寶単光章, Order of the Sacred Treasure Silver Rays:

Post 2003 OST Silver Rays Case Lid.jpg

Close up of the clasp:

Post 2003 OST Gold Rays Ribbon Case Clasp.jpg

Edited by TracA
    Spacing; added "light" to purple; more accurate description of case interior

The Order of the Sacred Treasure, Gold and Silver Rays. Formally the 5th class in the pre-reform orders.

The triangular ribbon shape has been retained and on my example it is approximately 46mm (at its widest part) by 39mm long. Although I have no idea what the official color is, to me it looks like cornflower blue. There is a 4mm gold stripe that is 3mm from each edge on the ribbon.

The central design is per the pre-reform medal: the rays are enameled white, the paste jewels and their connecting lines are red (not enameled, red glass?), and the mirror is polished silver on a dark blue enameled background. The front and side surfaces of the beaded inner and double raised outer rings, attachment to the paulownia leaf suspension, as well as the 12 short rays are all in gilt. The front outline and side surfaces of both the eight longest rays as well as the red jewels and their red connecting lines are in silver. Like the pre-reform medal, the width of the new medal is approximately 45mm from ray tip to ray tip. However, because the post-reform medal has a new suspension the length is approximately 64mm from the top of the 12h paulownia flower to the tip of either of the longest bottom two rays. The new suspension appears to be the same one used on the post-reform Order of the Rising Sun, the only difference being the color of the enamel on the obverse leaves and flower stems. On the OST Gold and Silver Rays the three paulownia leaves and flower stems are enameled white and the leaves have silver veins. The flowers are in a 3, 5, 3 configuration and are enameled light purple. Unlike the OST Silver Rays on which the silver colored medal fills in between them and the stems, on the Gold and Silver rays this fill-in is a blue enamel matching the color of the ribbon. The piece on the suspension through which is threaded the metal ring attaching the ribbon is now shaped like a puck.

The entire reverse is silver with a sandblasted looking finish. At approximately the midway point of the 3h and 9h arms is a phillips head screw, obviously fasteners for the two piece construction. Like the pre-reform pieces, the four “order of merit” characters are arranged in a square in the center of the badge and their recesses are gilt. The reverse of the leaves and flowers suspension device is flat and featureless; there is no detailed representation of the flowers and stems. This is just like the reverse of the suspension device of the post-reform Orders of the Rising Sun. My example has the hallmark F5 stamped on the bottom leaf at 6h. As of July 29, 2023 this hallmark is not listed on the wonderful Medals of Asia website at https://asiamedals.info/threads/two-letter-and-letter-digit-marks-on-japanese-orders-and-medals.13720/.

The case in my example is lacquered black and I assume that it is made of wood. Unlike my OST Silver Rays, there is no damage through which the case material shows itself. However, given that the case for the Silver Rays is made of wood I would find it odd if the case for a higher award were not made of wood. The dimensions of the case are as follows: approximately 65mm wide by 130mm long by 30mm high. The top and bottom are joined by a silver colored hinge at the back, fully visible when the lid is open, and the hinge is secured to the top and bottom of the case by three phillips head screws each. The lid is secured shut by a pin-and-hole silver clasp with a circle-next-to-circle design bordered by a smooth edge (see above OST Silver Rays for a picture). The inside top is of a purple colored satin like material, and the medalbed, recessed in the outline of the medal, is a purple colored velvet like material.

The round rosette is of the same colors as the ribbon, blue with eight gold stripes radiating from the center. There is no hallmark on the metal portion of it.

Obverse with rosette:

Post 2003 OST Gold and Silver Rays Obv Rosette.jpg

Reverse (the F5 hallmark is stamped on the bottom leaf at 6h):

Post 2003 OST Gold and Silver Rays Rev.jpg

Lacquered case lid with the script 瑞寶双光章, Order of the Sacred Treasure Gold and Silver Rays:

Post 2003 OST Gold and Silver Rays Case Lid.jpg

Edited by TracA
    more accurate description of case interior

My third installment on this thread: The Order of the Sacred Treasure, Gold Rays with Rosette. Formally the 4th class in the pre-reform orders.

The triangular ribbon shape on my example is approximately 45mm at its widest part by 42mm long. The ribbon color looks like cornflower blue, but I have no idea what it is officially. 3mm from each ribbon edge is a 4mm gold stripe. Affixed to the front of the ribbon is a 22mm rosette of ribbon color with 10 pleats radiating out from the center, a circular gold stripe around the center, and another circular gold stripe 1mm from the outer edge.

The central design is per the pre-reform medal: the rays are enameled white, the paste jewels and their connecting lines are red (not enameled, but red glass?), and the mirror is polished silver on a dark blue enameled background. All other medal surfaces are gilt; nothing is silver in 

color. Like the pre-reform medal, the width of the new medal is approximately 46mm from ray tip to ray tip. Since the post-reform medal has a new suspension the length is now approximately 67mm from the top of the 12h paulownia flower to the tip of either of the longest bottom two rays. The new suspension appears to be the same one used on the post-reform Order of the Rising Sun, Gold Rays with Rosette and up, the only difference being the color of the enamel on the obverse leaves and flower stems. On the OST Gold Rays with Rosette the three paulownia leaves and flower stems are enameled white and the leaves have gilt veins. The flowers are in a 5, 7, 5 configuration and are enameled light purple. The gilt colored medal fills in the spaces between the leaves and the stems. The piece on the suspension through which is threaded the metal ring attaching the ribbon is now shaped like a puck.

The entire reverse is gilt with a sandblasted looking finish. At approximately the midway point of the 3h and 9h arms is a phillips head screw, fasteners for the two piece construction. Like the pre-reform pieces, the four “order of merit” characters are arranged in a square in the center of the badge. Their recesses are, of course, gilt. The reverse of the leaves and flowers suspension device is flat and featureless; there is no detailed representation of the flowers and stems. My example has the hallmark BZ stamped on the bottom leaf at 6h. As of July 29, 2023 this hallmark is not listed on the wonderful Medals of Asia website at https://asiamedals.info/threads/two-letter-and-letter-digit-marks-on-japanese-orders-and-medals.13720/.

The case is lacquered black and I assume that it is made of wood. Given that the case for the Silver Rays is made of wood I would find it odd if the case for a higher award were not made of the same material. The dimensions of the case are as follows: approximately 65mm wide by 130mm long by 30mm high. The top and bottom are joined by a silver colored hinge at the back, fully visible when the lid is open, and the hinge is secured to the top and bottom of the case by three phillips head screws on each side. The lid is secured shut by a pin-and-hole silver clasp with a circle-next-to-circle design bordered by a smooth edge (see above OST Silver Rays for a picture). The inside top is of a purple colored satin like material, and the medalbed, recessed in the outline of the medal, is a purple colored velvet like material.

My example did not come with a button lapel rosette. However, zooming in on the picture of this order on the Wikipedia OST page it appears that the rosette is the same color as the ribbon, has eight “pleats” emanating from the center, and two circular gold stripes on the pleats: one around the center and one probably about 1mm from the edge. 

Obverse:

Post 2003 OST 4th Obv.jpg

Reverse (BZ hallmark is stamped on the bottom leaf at 6h):

Post 2003 OST Gold Rays with Rosette Rev.jpg

Lacquered case lid with the script 瑞寶小綬章, Order of the Sacred Treasure Gold Rays with Rosette (or Order of the Sacred Treasure, Small Ribbon?):

Post 2003 OST Gold Rays with Rosette Case Lid.jpg

Edited by TracA
    Accurate description of button lapel rosette; more accurate description of case interior

My final installment on this thread, for now, although I don’t think that I will obtain the highest two Post-2003 Reform OSTs anytime soon: The Order of the Sacred Treasure, Gold Rays with Neck Ribbon. Formally the 3rd class in the pre-reform orders.

The cravat is approximately 35mm wide with a 4mm gold stripe that is 3mm from each ribbon edge. I am not sure what the color is officially, but to me it looks like cornflower blue. The fastener has not changed.

The central design is per the pre-reform medal: rays are enameled white, paste jewels and their connecting lines are red (not enameled; red glass?), and the mirror is polished silver on a dark blue enameled background. All other medal surfaces are gilt; nothing is silver in color. The width of the medal is approximately 55mm and given the new suspension the length is now approximately 78mm from the top of the 12h paulownia flower to the tip of either of the longest bottom two rays. The new suspension appears to be the same one used on the post-reform Order of the Rising Sun, Gold Rays with Rosette and up, the only difference being the color of the enamel on the obverse leaves and flower stems. On the OST Gold Rays with Neck Ribbon the three paulownia leaves and flower stems are enameled white. The leaf veins are gilt. The configuration of the flowers is a 5, 7, 5 pattern and they are enameled light purple. The gilt colored medal fills in the spaces between the leaves and the stems.

The entire reverse is gilt with a sandblasted looking finish. At approximately the midway point on the 3h and 9h arms is a phillips head screw, fasteners for the two piece construction. Like the pre-reform pieces, the four “order of merit” characters are arranged in a square in the center of the badge. Their recesses are gilt. The reverse of the leaves and flowers suspension device is flat and featureless; there is no detailed representation of the flowers and stems. My example has the hallmark E6 stamped on the bottom leaf at 6h. As of July 31, 2023 this hallmark is not listed on the wonderful Medals of Asia website at https://asiamedals.info/threads/two-letter-and-letter-digit-marks-on-japanese-orders-and-medals.13720/.

The case is lacquered black and, I assume, constructed of wood. There is no damage to the lacquer through which I can see the case material. However, given that the case for the Silver Rays is made of wood I would find it odd if the case for a higher award were not made of the same. The approximate dimensions of the case are: 85mm wide by 135mm long by 37mm high. The top and bottom are joined by a silver colored hinge at the back, fully visible when the lid is open. The hinge is fastened to the top and bottom of the case by three phillips head screws on each side. The lid is secured shut by a pin-and-hole silver clasp with a circle-next-to-circle design (pebbly?) bordered by a smooth edge, and the hinge plate for the clasp is of the same design. The inside top is of a purple colored satin like material, and the medalbed, recessed in the outline of the medal, is a purple colored velvet like material. The medalbed is hinged and lifts upwards for cravat storage.

The button lapel rosette is the color of the cravat. It has eight pleats emanating from 

the center and a single gold circular stripe approximately halfway between the center and the edge of the rosette. There is a rectangular base of 10 textured rows colored very pale yellow or gold.

Obverse with the cravat and the rosette:

Post 2003 OST Gold Rays Ribbon Obv Rosette.jpg

Reverse (an E6 hallmark is stamped on the bottom leaf at 6h):

Post 2003 OST Gold Rays Ribbon Rev.jpg

Close-up of the rosette:

Post 2003 OST Gold Rays Ribbon Rosette.jpg

Lacquered case lid with the script 瑞寶中綬章, Order of the Sacred Treasure Gold Rays with Neck Ribbon:

Post 2003 OST Gold Rays Ribbon Case LId.jpg

Detail of the lid clasp:

Post 2003 OST Gold Rays Ribbon Case Clasp.jpg