News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

10 piece Austro-Hungarian Medal Bar help please

Sauce

Guest Rick Research

A Karl Troop Cross is missing (red ribbon with laddered red and white outer edges) between the Iron Merit Cross and the Karl Wound Medal.

There should be a die maker's name "Leisek" on the Large Silver Bravery Medal and "Tautenhayn" on the Small Silver Bravery medal, under Franz Joseph's bust. I can't tell if it's there from the scans. Same die maker "Tautenhayn" on the bronze, but the silver medals-- if bearing the die cutter's name will be confirmed as silver by a microscopic round punch at about 1 o'clock on the two silver medals' rims. It will most likely bear the Vienna Assay Office "A" there. If no "Tautenhayn," they are wearer replacements, and could be from the period.

These were still being awarded into the 1930s!!!!!! :speechless1:

You can indeed get the citations for these, by contacting the Kriegsarchiv in Vienna. I do not have current details for them, but I know there are folks here who have dealt with them recently and can post email addresses etc that didn't exist in my "snail mail" days.

You have the wearer's name and home town. His date of birth would help enormously. Because he stayed in Austria, Vienna will have his records. People from the ex-Empire who went to live in Czechoslovakia, Hungary, and so on often had their old records moved to the new country.

What you want to ask for are the

Belohnungsantr?ge for the FOUR Bravery Medals-the small has a repeat bar for a second award of that class. I don't know if they exist for the much lesser Iron Merit Cross.

Each Belohnungantrag goves particulasrs on the soldier, the actual citation text that recommended him for the award, and is stamped up the line of the command approving, downgrading, or upgrading the proposed award.

Austro-Hungarian valor awards (and even the Troop Cross) were not mere medals. They brought with them actual concrete benefits. Kogfelmann would have received a monthly payment for the rest of his life based on winning these medals--

nominal, but something that would have involved keeping payment records until his death.

Good luck!

Rick Simply simply amazeing, I cant thank you enough for all the info!!!!

Im going to read it again so i pick it all up.

What would be a fair market price for this piece?

thanks

Dan

A Karl Troop Cross is missing (red ribbon with laddered red and white outer edges) between the Iron Merit Cross and the Karl Wound Medal.

There should be a die maker's name "Leisek" on the Large Silver Bravery Medal and "Tautenhayn" on the Small Silver Bravery medal, under Franz Joseph's bust. I can't tell if it's there from the scans. Same die maker "Tautenhayn" on the bronze, but the silver medals-- if bearing the die cutter's name will be confirmed as silver by a microscopic round punch at about 1 o'clock on the two silver medals' rims. It will most likely bear the Vienna Assay Office "A" there. If no "Tautenhayn," they are wearer replacements, and could be from the period.

The Name Tahutenhayn is on both medals, and the "A" is on both at 1 oclock, hard to find. Aswell the Leisek, on the large.

thanks again for the info, do you think I could write them in english, or is it better in German.

Edited by Sauce

Guest Rick Research

German would always be better. Probably even better to have the grandson request the records as direct family, since he should be able to provide birth and death dates and places.

I used to get these for the cost of the copies and return postage stamps-- but that was in the days of Dr. Allmayer-Beck, who enjoyed looking into these as much as I did. No clue what recent "privacy" or costs might be.