News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Aerial Gunner Bar on Cross Award

Avitas

Hello all,

I picked up this interesting piece a while ago, a US Aerial Gunner Award with 1927-1928 engraved on the back of the "aerial gunner" bar that hangs from a target cross shaped badge with a wreath around it. It is marked Stirling on the back as well. All info on this medal is welcome as it is not my area of expertise.

Thanks,

Pat

I think this one is not very common as there weren't that many Aerial Gunners in the US Army (Air Force) in 1927-1928. It is made of stirling silver. Does anyone else have one to compare or have any info?

US weapons qualification badges were addressed in a War Department Army Regulation 600-35 dated 14 October 1921. The three classifications--Marksman, Sharpshooter and Expert (your example) did not include the aerial gunner bar. However, in a subsequent regulation dated 31 December 1921, the aerial gunner qualification bar was introduced. The fact that your specimen is engraved with the dates indicates subsequent awards, and is in accordance with regulations.

I can't speak for rarity, but I have never seen an engraved bar specimen such as yours before.

Hope this is of some help. Jack Angolia

Thanks for the great info, I've always liked this piece. I have a similar one, I think it has the US Marksman and Sharpshooting crosses, as well as a "Rifle" Bar between them. ANy ideas on the date of this award, and any info on why this particular one has two crosses?

Thanks,

Pat

and the back with markings of "Sterling", "G.I." and "Krew" on the three pieces. It is made of silver, obviously. Any other information on this particular combination and age of it?

Pat

The top cross is the Marksman badge. The lower one is the Sharpshooter badge. These should not be worn in the configuration seen here. My speculation is that the individual initially qualified as a Marksman with the rifle, and later as Sharpshooter, again with the rifle. Contrary to regulations, he joined the two badges together. As for the markings on the reverse, the "Sterling" is obvious. I presume the other marks relate to an manufacturer's mark. Jack Angolia

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the help Jack,

I was wondering if there was much demand for these items, I don't collect a lot of US stuff, have a few items, but not my main interest. The Aerial Gunner I have always liked, and I was wondering if it is a good piece to keep for a while. Good reference books are hard to come by up here so any help is great.

Thanks,

Pat

• 5 years later...

Hello again,

It's been a while and I was thinking of maybe selling the Aerial Gunner award (bought a new truck and a little short right now) and I was wondering what price range to ask ( I will accept any private offers as well) for this piece. I would consider working out a trade for some Third Reich pieces, as US is not my main area of collecting.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Pat