News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ciskei Defence Force Awards

archie777

Posted (edited)

Hi Archie,

According to Arthur Radburn the ribbon for CDF Long Service Medal (30 years) is image.png.63b0e0aa3b26f01ddef9da23fb8234b0.png and for CDF Long Service Medal (20 years) is image.png.9ef2e16efb8c7d2ed8def1e68fc1ecdf.png.

Is he correct or is he mistaken (perhaps the design/colours of the ribbons were changed before/after approval).

Any thoughts ?

Marcon1.

PS: I don't know if I already asked this question.

Pro Merito Medal (PMM) - Does it exist ??

Edited by Marcon1

Pro Merito Decoration (PMD)

Instituted in 1992

Awarded to Warrant Officers, Staff-Sergeants and Sergeants of the Ciskeian Defence Force for meritorious service or valuable service characterised by devotion to duty.

Warrant signed on 9 July 1992, published under Proclamation No. 13 of 1992 by the Chairman of the Council of State of the Republic of Ciskei. 

Republic of Ciskei Government Gazette, Vol. 20 No. 83 of 24 July 1992.

Unknown how many were manufactured or  awarded. 

Ciskei Weermag Pro Merito Dekorasie (1).JPG

Ciskei Weermag Pro Merito Dekorasie (2).JPG

Ciskei Weermag Pro Merito Dekorasie (3).JPG

Hi Marco,

That information regarding those 2 ribbons are wrong

Those ribbons are for the Ciskei Police and not Ciskei Defence Force

The Pro Merito Medal (PMM) does not exist for the CDF, only for the SADF

Hi Megan & Marco,

Unfortunately I've covered some Homeland medals under other topics.

If you need any specific Homeland awards, please let me know.

A friend of mine went to the Military History Museum in Johannesburg, after we requested to take pictures of all former Homeland awards.

His appointment was last Monday and on arrival, they said that there was only about 20 awards left of close to 100 mentioned in the e-mail.

It was so disappointing to get that news. Seems like all top awards gold and silver were stollen with no action taken.

Hope to find better news next time.

Regards

Archie

Oh dear. Appears some people do not take their stewardship of history as seriously as they ought. Museums can be very casual - the British Museum in London has been plundered for years by a rogue member of staff and they've only just noticed!

Worth asking if they did decent cataloguing and have photos of their own of the missing items that they could share.

It's great that you are looking after your collection properly, Archie.

Hi Megan,

Unfortunately no pictures available and really a sad story.

Definitely no invertory checks and that's bad. If I were in control, I would have opened a theft case, but u fortunately another sad story currently.

I'm digging deep to see what else I can get.

If its Mothersday in the UK, happy Mothersday.

Regards

Archie

Picture from War in Angola

Screenshot_20240511_183738_Samsung Internet.jpg

Posted (edited)

Well, you were a police officer... the habits stick!

The UK does Mothering Sunday earlier in the year. The origins of that are fascinating. The 'mother' in question is your ;

'mother church' - the one where you were baptised. It was the one time that people who were in service got to go home. In times when people didn't travel much, the rest of your family was likely in the same village you were born and grew up in, so you got to see them as well.

Nothing to do with greetings cards and taking Mum out to lunch! A;though being one I do approve of taking Mum out to lunch!

To get back to more interesting things like medals, the Ciskei Defence Force rated the Sandile Medal above the Cross for Bravery, did they?

Edited by Megan