News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ス (su) Hallmarks On Rosettes: Inwards And Outwards?

TracA

My most recent acquisition, an Order of the Sacred Treasure 3rd Class with N hallmark, came with a rosette, and that rosette also has a hallmark: (su). I looked at it and looked at it, but something just did not look right. Then, it hit me: unlike the other seven rosettes that I have (for Treasures, Kites, and Suns) with the hallmark, this rosette has the in a different orientation from that of my seven other rosettes. 

Seven of my rosettes have what I call an inward facing , where the top of the character faces inward toward the rosette’s cylinder, like this:

Rosette Inward SU 2.jpg

The rosette that came with my N hallmarked 3rd Class Order of the Sacred Treasure, however, has  an outward facing , where the top of the character faces outward from the rosette’s cylinder, like this:

Rosette Outward SU 1.jpg

At Medals of Asia this hallmark is associated only with Red Cross medals as well as rosettes for such medals and rosettes for other orders/medals. The two pictures of Red Cross rosettes are of outward facing but the four pictures of rosettes for other orders/medals all have inward facing . See Medals of Asia: https://asiamedals.info/threads/marks-of-the-japanese-red-cross-society-medals.15270/.

If my small sample size of eight and the four pictures at Medals of Asia are any indication, then clearly outward facing are much less common on non-Red Cross rosettes than inward facing. Beyond that I cannot posit any other conclusions.

It would be interesting to know the stamping process for rosettes with this hallmark. Heck, it would be really interesting to know the meaning/manufacturer behind this hallmark.

All the best,

Tracy

Dear TracA,

Interesting, but it could just be a human manipulation mistake.

As you mentioned, who is this prolific manufacturer?

I have only three rosettes with 'ス ' hallmark:

- Golden Kite :

image.jpeg.00645704070ad808f9bb7934f96ef593.jpeg

- Pillars of State (Manchukuo):

image.jpeg.6ec1b92dc2525c200f37080200250d16.jpeg

- Red Cross:

image.jpeg.e3f05304903691e43e14bc07314d42c7.jpeg

Yours sincerely,

No one