News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Seeking information on RN sailor HMS Tiger WW1

Hello everyone,

It's been a long time since I have been here, I used to collect Soviet medals and orders and Australian WW1 and 2 medals.

But today it's a personal one that's related to the Royal Navy. I know very little about RN records, so am hoping to get some information as to whether there is anymore out there than what I have found. But to the story........

I have spent a lot of time on my family tree. Years. But there is one branch that has constantly alluded me. It's the question of who my paternal grandfathers father is.

My grandfathers birth certificate had very little information, but I have just finally got his brothers certificate after having to wait for the 100 year anniversary of his birth (Australian law). Finally I got something that gave me a break. Henry Joseph Rawlings. I have found the man, but many parts are missing.

The Henry Joseph Rawlings in question was (allegedly) born on 20 December 1893 in Melbourne, Australia. However I cannot find a birth certificate for him.

What I did find was a WW1 document that shows that he was a Stoker 1st Class on HMS Tiger during the Battle Of Jutland. He was severely wounded on 31 May 1916 and according to the document was transferred to the Royal Australian Navy and on to HMAS Australia. There is some other writing that I cant make out.

I know that this is my great grandfather due to a paper trail. He signed a child maintenance agreement in 1923 in regards to my grandfather and his brother, but skipped almost straight away.

In 1929, a warrant went out for his arrest as he owed about 230 pounds (an amount that I once worked out means that he either never paid a cent or maybe made one or two payments). His police description states that he is a ships fireman and has a large coat of arms tattooed on his chest. The WW1 RN file states he has the Australian coat of arms tattooed on his chest.

His Royal Australian Navy file shows up under WW2 instead of WW1 for some reason in the Australian archives, but it does show the same date and place of birth. It shows he joined the RAN on 13.9.16 for a period of 7 years and also says "RN service not known". While it mentions his scars, it doesn't mention tattoos. However its clearly the same person given the DOB and the change over date being not long after Jutland. He received a hurt certificate in 1918, so presumably saw out the war on HMAS Australia.

I am wondering if anyone could tell me if there might be any other British records for him ? I am not very familiar with the British Records system, so thought I would be better asking. I can see that he is going to be a mystery man as I can find no Australian birth certificate. I did of course wonder if he was in fact British given that he is born in 1893 and in 1915 is serving in the Royal Navy. But what British man would have the Australian coat of arms tattooed on his chest ?