News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rust removal on -big- jobs, dug up items, etc.

http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp

Here's an interesting home application of electrolysis to remove rust on items. (I found it through a link on a cooking site dealing with conditioning Dutch ovens.) This would work well on items dug up from battlefields, or generally really trashed out items. Some on the forum may find this link and the step by step process useful for other problems around the house or something in the garage.

Les

Hello Les,

I've tried electrolysis which works very well but I did find it messy and I needed quite a bit of space. I only have the balcony to use for my derusting projects, I find it too risky/too open using the garden.

I do get good results using sodium hydroxide pellets in water but this method takes much longer than the above method.

Tony

That's a good easy to follow guide, i've used electrolysis a fair bit and it does work well if you do it right. No good for anything that has paint you'd like to keep, like a helmet. Also worth mentioning that once you've cleaned an item down to the bare metal it becomes very susceptible to rust again so you'll have to treat it with something, i use Owatrol.

Edited by Simon Orchard