News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

“The convoy got safely across, and we camped at a pan of water in the flats. About an hour after camping, some of the officers, among whom was the captain of the New Zealand squadron, said they were anxious to see Cronje’s last stand, and whether, if permission was granted by Major Paris, I would go with them.

I agreed, and shortly after saw Major Paris, l who said he would allow them to go, providing I went in command. I agreed, and we started about 2pm. One captain of the 4th Scottish Rifles, staff officer to Major Paris, also accompanied us.

We reached the memorable camp of General Cronje about an hour later, and after placing a couple of lookouts on points of vantage, I allowed the party to scatter and look for curios. We were about sixty five all told, chiefly New Zealanders, scouts, and some Royal Welsh Fusiliers, who were attached to me under Lieutenant Holroyd.

After spending about half an hour, I gave orders to return- the column had meanwhile gone on—and after some little difficulty got the party collected, and we started back through the river, when I at once extended the men and sent out the necessary scouts.

When almost opposite Kitchener’s Kop (so called, being the position held by Lord Kitchener during the shelling of Cronje’s camp and trenches along the river banks), firing was reported on our left, and shortly after I noticed two of four men, New Zealanders, I had sent forward on our left point coming on at a gallop…”

‘A Fight to a Finish” by Major C G Dennison.
    “Were with a patrol of about 60 men. Hearing that the left flank was being attacked, Captain Dennison rode out to it. About 60 of the enemy cut them off, and they eventually surrendered.”
    “SA Surrenders” (WO108-372).

According to the SAFF Casualty Roll one man was killed and Captain Dennison and 4 men (one of them severely wounded) were taken prisoner. One of the prisoners, a New Zealander, 2634 Tpr Frank Perham covered the incident and his early release by the Boers in a book “The Kimberley Flying Column”