News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Posted (edited)

Kimberley Star in gold awarded to Robert Archibald

The medal was presented to Mr. Robert Archibald, a floor manager of the De Beers Consolidated Mines Limited. 

The full story of the unique gold Kimberley Star is listed in the definitive book Boer War Tribute Medals by M.G. Hibbard, pages 163-169 (Constantia Classics, 1982).

This book describes the various presentation medals which were awarded to many of those who served in South Africa during the Anglo Boer War. 

In 1962 two unknown Kimberley Stars came to light, both prepared after the pattern of the silver star but in gold.

One of these was found in Cape Town and one a little later in a London dealers’ shop.

The one in Cape Town is with the medal group awarded to Mayor Oliver which is housed in the Museum.

The second one was offered for the first time on City Coins Postal Medal Auction 70. 

This unofficial handmade medal was made in 18 ct gold in the workshop of Mr Melchar of Dutoitspan Road in Kimberley and is not fitted with the usual ornamental bar suspender nor the top pin brooch.

The following description is an extract from Hibbard’s book page 168: 

Obverse: A six-pointed star, with ball on each point. The Kimberley coat of arms with motto: SPERO MELIORA (I promise better things) on scroll below. In a band around the centre device the word KIMBERLEY above and the dates 1899-1900 below. 

The lettering on this medal is that of different style to that of the silver star. The spacing is marginally different and the public arms not so well executed. 

Reverse: Inscribed: BOER WAR/SOUVENIER (sic) FROM THE EMPLOYEES/OF THE / DE BEER CONS. MINES LD / TO / ROBT / ARCHIBALD ESQ / FOR SERVICES / 
    RENDERED. 

The Diamond Field Advertiser of 29 July 1901 recorded the circumstances surrounding the presentation of this medal which was presented to Mr. Archibald on the eve of his departure to the United Kingdom. 

Attached is an interesting group photograph, featuring R. ARCHIBALD in the book Some Dreams Come True by Alpheus F. Williams.

Screenshot_20240607_223622_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20240607_224824_Drive.jpg

GENERAL MANAGER, DE BEERS CONSOLIDATED MINES LTD. AND HIS STAFF.
    Seymour Dallas, Manager, Kimberley Mine Compounds. W. Austin Knight, Manager, Bultfontein Floors. T.R. English, Chief Buyer. J.H. Murphy, Assistant Buyer. S. Tidd-Pratt, Manager, Workshops Compound. J. Swanson, Manager, Wesselton Mine Compounds. C.E. Hopley, Sub-Manager, Stables Compound. D. Canty, Acting Manager, De Beers Mine Compounds. A.E. Rogers, Assistant Manager, Wesselton Mine. C.M. Henrotin, Assistant Manager, Kimberley Mine. W. Tudor, Assistant Manager, De Beers Mine. J. Liddell, Mechanical Engineer. W. Newdigate, Chief Land Surveyor. James Stewart, Manager of Pulsator. A.F. Brigham, Chief Mine Surveyor. C.L. Porter, Underground Manager, Wesselton Mine. Capt. A.J. Garrett, Manager, Bultfontein, Mine Compound. FRONT ROW: R. ARCHIBALD, Manager, De Beers Floors. W. McHardy, Manager, Kimberley Floors. A.F. WILLIAMS, Assistant General Manager. GARDNER F. WILLIAMS, General Manager. P.A. Robbins, Consulting Mechanical and Electrical Engineer. W. Nichol, Manager, De Beers Mine. T.J. Woodburne, Manager, Kimberley and Bultfontein Mines.

Edited by archie777