News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hungarian P.R. Medal Of Merit - Question

gjw

• gjw changed the title to Hungarian P.R. Medal Of Merit - Question
    9 hours ago, gjw said:

Hey all, can someone tell me what period this was issued or is it a fake?

Many thanks!

Greg

s-l960.webp

s-l960-1.webp

Hi Greg,
    Honestly I’ve never looked at one before but the reverse looks a bit off to me…

maybe it’s just the photo and maybe it’s not unusual but those edges look messy compared to this 🤷‍♂️
    80A344F3-119D-4459-B36A-A9949D619999.thumb.png.735b7b59fbb1bd1a2825d8fbd8be1110.png

cheers

tony 🍻

Greg,

Personally, I believe it to be original. the back looks ok, and whilst the attachment of the ribbon to the ribbon looks crude, it is most likely original, demonstrated by many examples, including the one in Tony's post. there are also variations without 1949 on the reverse.

Info-wise, it would have been issued from 1949, unto the end of the Rakosi regime. it had many grades, you have the lower, but in the gold grade, which, oddly enough, was bestowed 17656 times, unlike the silver, which was 5290, and the bronze, 5992. :speechless:

Interestingly. although it was awarded, I believe, starting in 1949, the medals and orders themselves were not distributed until 1950.

Regards,

Philip.S