News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medals of Major Henry Daniel Lysons MID son of Colonel Henry Lysons VC

Hi Guys

I purchased these medals some time ago and now need to part with them. 

They belong to a Major Henry Daniel Lysons. His grandfather was General

sir Danial Lysons and his father was Colonel Henry Lysons VC. He won

his VC in South Africa in the 1870s. 

Henry's service is unique, I would suppose, in that he intended to go from Royal Military

College into the artillery but ended up in the Royal Flying Corps. He qualified pilot, was sent to an operational

squadron in France, but after crashing an aircraft was reassessed as a pilot. He conducted

further pilot training in England but Henry decided he would instead go into the artillery. 

So he ended WWI in the artillery and between the wars fought in/commanded Mountain Batteries in 

Iraq and India. He also did stints in Garrison Artillery in Ireland and in England. 

He went to France in 1940 and, keeping with the family tradition, was recommended for a 

DSO at Dunkirk. He was instead MID. However it is an impressive MID. It sums up what

happened at Dunkirk. 

After Dunkirk he went to North Africa and was placed in charge a  Corps of Military Police

Detachment in East Africa and he then served in artillery units in England. 

I originally thought his DIRECT connection to VC and his own recommendation for a DSO

and the rare combination of service and service medals made this quite a special group. 

I mean that adds some value to the group. 

Dealers have been telling me otherwise and I thought I would run it by you guys to see

what your opinion is. Are they just trying to pull something? Is such a VC connection 

worthless? 

Thanks

Ken

DSCN7938.JPG

Henry Lysons VC photo Tom Stewart.jpg