News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Sacred Treasure 4th Class Double Marked - Two Different Marks

TracA

Greetings,

This OST is not mine nor is it in my possession. It was posted by BTR on the War Relics Forum and I told the original poster that I would post it here on GMIC.

I’ve only seen one other double marked OST, and it is on JapanX’s Medals of Asia. There it is double marked with the same mark, ナ (Na). See https://asiamedals.info/threads/3rd-class-sacred-treasure-orders-with-one-and-two-marks-na.14866/

On the OST 4th Class below, however, are two different marks on the reverse: ナ (Na) at the top of 12h and 並 (Nami) just below the bottom rivet at 6h. I have pasted all of BTR’s pictures below. I note that the stripe on the ribbon rosette and the lapel button rosette are pink while the ribbon stripe is yellow.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thank you.

Tracy

Case lid:

OST 4 Double Mark Case Lid.jpg

Obverse:

OST 4 Double Mark Obv.jpg

Obverse close-up:

OST 4 Double Mark Obv Close Up.jpg

everse. Note that you can just see the marks at the top of 12h and just below the 6h rivet:

OST 4 Double Mark Rev.jpg

Close-up top mark:

OST 4 Double Mark Rev First Mark.jpg

Close-up bottom mark:

OST 4 Double Mark Rev Second Mark.jpg

Lapel button rosette:

OST 4 Double Mark Lapel Button Rosette.jpg

22 hours ago, TracA said:

Greetings,

This OST is not mine nor is it in my possession. It was posted by BTR on the War Relics Forum and I told the original poster that I would post it here on GMIC.

I’ve only seen one other double marked OST, and it is on JapanX’s Medals of Asia. There it is double marked with the same mark, ナ (Na). See https://asiamedals.info/threads/3rd-class-sacred-treasure-orders-with-one-and-two-marks-na.14866/

On the OST 4th Class below, however, are two different marks on the reverse: ナ (Na) at the top of 12h and 並 (Nami) just below the bottom rivet at 6h. I have pasted all of BTR’s pictures below. I note that the stripe on the ribbon rosette and the lapel button rosette are pink while the ribbon stripe is yellow.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thank you.

Tracy

Case lid:

OST 4 Double Mark Case Lid.jpg

Obverse:

OST 4 Double Mark Obv.jpg

Obverse close-up:

OST 4 Double Mark Obv Close Up.jpg

everse. Note that you can just see the marks at the top of 12h and just below the 6h rivet:

OST 4 Double Mark Rev.jpg

Close-up top mark:

OST 4 Double Mark Rev First Mark.jpg

Close-up bottom mark:

OST 4 Double Mark Rev Second Mark.jpg

Lapel button rosette:

OST 4 Double Mark Lapel Button Rosette.jpg

Well Tracy 😊

I saw you post this last night. I thought I’d have a Google about a subject I know nothing about… because I’m an optimistic type.

I now know there are different Japanese writing systems.

I now know of katakana.

I now know that NAMI is the name of a manga character and googling anything referencing NAMI especially with mention of weapons medals etc only gives results about her 🤷‍♂️

However, NA was enough, it sent me off down a Katana & rifle markings rabbit hole which was really interesting as it happens.

In the world of Katana maker markings and the like, they also have the NA symbol occurring regularly, twice on some occasions. 

(Forgive me if this is totally irrelevant and/or beginners level wrong 🤞)

If I remember correctly :

ナ represented made in Nagoya (Arsenal)

ナ is also seen as an inspection stamp.

The odds this is relevant to you is slim but, enough apologies, I found it all interesting, hopefully you will too.

I think easiest if I add the screenshots 👍

Cheers

tony 🍻

45248D01-F9EB-4003-A4C9-6B7AA1C5DC94.thumb.png.71ae6559a664b201b2234afc9e77253e.png

BABD9C21-1EF2-4862-B24F-F21A5E66948C.thumb.png.c82d36a15cf45466b1d5ff631e29c39e.png

14B20C51-8F61-4B2C-8DF1-CD7BDF095D27.thumb.png.e992b35bee7dda30aa4ae47e81113967.png

85D96129-F0CD-49CD-B4C0-8529DAA47C35.thumb.png.b13c8afb18a3a29c8895cc202daaedbf.png

2289D8C6-EA4C-4F29-BCED-2D162439FC04.thumb.png.cd48ceb9445f8416033d997d0ec825ce.png

47B34C00-CE1C-4BBF-A957-153B4EDBF7B4.thumb.png.6eb11ced96a660a67072c006d37c06d1.png

AEC1DDFD-CDC9-4C54-B3A3-1EF02D02B091.thumb.png.c179efd62977a95d6e1fd3ffd4422101.png

PS
    I think amongst my 4am tipsy logic was…

If Na-Chi represents 

Chigusa factory of the Nagoya Arsenal 

Maybe Na-Mi represents one of the other Arsenal factories in Nagoya 🤷‍♂️

tony 🍻

Hi Tony,

Thank you for doing some digging. I know nothing about Japanese swords, so what you dug up was very interesting.

JapanX responded on the War Relics Forum, and if you're interesting his response can be found on his Medals of Asia website here: https://asiamedals.info/threads/mark-na-on-japanese-orders-and-medals-who-and-when.28707/.

Nothing like 4am posting! 😄

All the best,

Tracy