News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Japan temple buddhist medal / badge

That’s a nice little thing, lovely condition, I hope someone can help you with it…

cheers

tony 🍻

On 30/07/2024 at 19:59, secretculturologist said:

Hello! Please help me understand if this badge is related to the Nichiren Buddhist sect (Women's Association) and if you have ever seen similar examples of such badges

IMG_20240728_123544.jpg

IMG_20240728_123605.jpg

IMG_20240728_123623.jpg

IMG_20240728_123637.jpg

IMG_20240728_123650.jpg

Hi Tony,

The OP also posted this on the War Relics Forum, and Akira Komiya provided a very nice response. To summarize his response: "...this is a badge of the Great Japan Buddhist Philanthropic Association Foundation, which is not Nichren Sect but the Honganji Sect of Joudoshinshu Buddhism." Center of the badge says "Diligence, Insignia Third Class". The box says "Ordinary Insignia", and Akira speculates that it might not be original to the badge. The single kanji on the obverse means "Compassion".

Again, none of the above is "my work"; it all comes from Akira Komiya.

Take care,

Tracy