News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

King Fuad I medal for soda pop production?

I hope some of the learned enthusiasts here can provide a bit of information on the design and purpose of this particular King Fuad I medal. I was surprised to stumble on a statement that Egypt's first soda pop company, under the name of its founder, Greek entrepreneur Spiro Spathis, initiated in 1909 and established as a formal business in 1920, was awarded a medal from King Farouk I. The Spiro Spathis website (https://www.spirospathis.com/about-spiro-spathis/#awards) provides an illustration of a medal ("The King's Medal") allegedly awarded for "the best soda drink in relation to 56 other factories." The medal that is illustrated by Spiro Spathis appeared in two past auctions as a King Fuad I commemorative medal, "The King's Football Cup" 1935-1936. 

large.KingsmedaltoSpiroSpathis.jpg.c0e096d1e4383dfeabe02d9062abd5bd.jpg

Above is the low-resolution image from the Spiro Spathis website of the medal said to have been awarded to the Greek emigrant to Egypt Spiro Spathis (1885-1950) for the quality of his soda. As noted, the award was supposedly from King Farouk I. The obverse bust and crown element are identical to another King Fuad I medal (or the same medal?), a bronze commemorative medal for "The King's Football Cup, 1935-36". Additionally, the damage to the left side of the obverse, scratches, and the staining are the same as seen in two sets of photos of past sales of this same medal (see below). The folds on the ribbon also are identical to those in the two images of the obverse shown below. The position of the suspension ring matches that in the 2014 Balwin's auction. This cannot be a photo of the medal "actually" received by Spiro Spathis, and was borrowed from the 2014 auction image shown below. Is this just a careless visual use of some medal with Fuad's bust by modern advertisers to "represent" a compliment or some lesser form of award from King Farouk I?  The confounding of a Fuad I medal with an "award" from Farouk I is glaring. Although no image of the reverse is provided, it is unnecessary as it is illustrated in the 2 auction listings of this same medal, shown below. The Spiro Spathis website also boasts they became the "Official Soda Supplier to the King's Palace." The quality of the bust's likeness and workmanship is not of the caliber seen in most King Fuad I commemorative medals. The form of the bust and crown also resembles King Farouk I 1945 Mosquito Eradication Medal. Spiro Spathis' first flavor was lemonade, adding apple cider in 1921 and tonic water in 1925. The company thrived until 1977 when his children took other work and the company went into decline (also a period associated with the infiltration of many foreign soda brands). A decrease in alcoholic drink sales in the 1980s-1990s increased demand for soda. IMF funds for economic reforms in the 1990s stimulated growth of local businesses, including ASPA, the conglomerate  that purchased the company and trademark in 1998. I believe the company has been sold to another conglomerate subsequently. Currently, demand for Spiro Spathis has dramatically increased since November 2023 due to to boycotts of Western producers supportive of Israel. 

large.Baldwinimage00867.jpg.f68cf6a1dc41b336fcfae2ca90fbb74a.jpg

Moderate resolution of a medal identified as "The King's Football Cup, 1935-1936",  from a 10 December, 2014 auction by Baldwin's & Sons, Islamic Coins Auction 27, Lot 867, archived on the NumidBids website  (https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=lot&sid=936&lot=867). The design of the obverse of the medal illustrated by Spiro Spathis is identical to this medal. As noted above, the dented left side of the obverse, scratches and stains, and folds in the ribbon are all identical to those visible in the Spiro Spathis website image. The position of the suspension ring on this image is also the same as that on the Spiro Spathis award illustration (but not to the Heritage Auctions photo below). The medal is stated to be 34 mm in diameter, but no material or weight are given. The description mentions the Egyptian football Association (the recipient?). The source of this medal is identified as the Sphinx Collection in a note on the archived Heritage Auctions 2023 sales of this same medal (see below)

large.Heritageimage23079.jpg.1940878483bb22f93438d50ab5cef6c5.jpg

A higher-resolution image of this same example of this medal as in the Baldwin's auction listing and, apparently, the Spiro Spathis medal photo (again, note the identical deformation of the left edge on the obverse, other scratches on both the obverse and reverse, and the areas of enamel loss on the reverse seen in the Baldwin's listing). The medals was sold on 17-18 September, 2023 by Heritage Auctions, Showcase Auction, 61323, Lot 23079, also archived on the NumisBids website (https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=lot&sid=7078&lot=23079). This auction description calls the medal an "Egyptian Football Federation, 1935-1936" medal and "The King's Football Cup". The Heritage Auctions listing states it is gilt bronze, 35 mm in diameter and weighs 33.3 g. This auction listing also is archived on the Heritage Auctions wenbiste (https://coins.ha.com/itm/egypt/egypt-fuad-i-gilt-bronze-egyptian-football-federation-medal-nd-1935-1936-vf-/a/61323-23079.s?type=DA-DMC-CoinArchives-WorldCoins-61323-09172023). 

large.King_Farouk_Cholera_Medal_A.jpg.4d3c4bc35c69cc082bf3ee6b07410980.jpg

Low-moderate resolution of the King Farouk I 1945 Mosquito Eradication Medal employs a similarly less-finely executed portrait of the King and the presence of the crown, although the details are slightly different than the King Fuad I medal design shown above. This example comes from a listing on the Medals4Trade website (https://www.medals4trade.com/displayimage.php?pid=5598). Medals4Trade mistakenly identifies this as the Cholera Resistance Medal. This medal is said to have been designed by Fox. Owain Raw-Rees published a description of this medal: The Egyptian Mosquito Eradication and Cholera Epidemic Medals. JOMSA Vol 56, No. 2, March-April, 2005 pp. 33-36. 

Edited by Rusty Greaves

• 1 month later...

I have no idea what kind of recognition Spiro Spathis actually may have gotten from King Farouk I. Oddly, I just came across an undated advertising card for this business from a current eBay auction (https://www.ebay.com/itm/276699876832?itmmeta=01JAZWRD1ASR1KMA7WR0N67MGH&hash=item406c990de0:g:5FsAAOSw~xJnGhSk). As noted in my post here of 7 September, the company opened in 1920 with just lemonade flavor. Apple cider was added in 1921, tonic water was added in 1925, and in 1935 additional flavors were added (at least grapefruit, grenadine, lime juice & soda, maybe others as well: https://spirospathis.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/06/SpiroCompanyProfile.pdf). Whatever recognition the business got from the king is dated to 1941. 

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.0d8139d5a3071df02f0236ad4d051634.jpg

s-l1600-1.thumb.jpg.edcbf861faa5f641fa876df4a6c6a204.jpg

Edited by Rusty Greaves