News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Barry

You may be having problems because his name is Klaus Art, not Axt. As you can see he was promoted Lt.z.See 1.4.44 and that's confirmed in the Sept.44 KM rangliste.

According to the rather good U-bootwaffe crew lists he served upon the type XXI boat U-2551

link

Now as this boat was only comissioned on the 24th April '45 he clearly must have served on other boats, but of those the database has no record. However i notice that of those men listed for U-2551 it seems a good many of them came from the decomissioned U-957. Perhaps he too served on board that boat?

Nothing of use in his SB?

Edited by Simon Orchard

Hello Simon,

The soldbuch has two Feldpost Numbers listed and Ian Jewison helped me with the following information.

M23657 - Schlachtschiff "Scharrnhorst"

M 27534 - Bootsbegleitschiff "Waldemar Kophamel"

He was transferred to 8 KLA in Hamburg on 33.1.1945.

For better photos go here if you are a member.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/sho...ad.php?t=156854

This first photo does have him promoted to Lt.z.See on 1.4.44. It also shows his name ART or AXT.....

There you go, you already had all the info. Could have saved me a bit of time had you mentioned the WAF thread in the first place.

Axt is defintely Art or vice versa. There was only one officer with a name A?t commisioned on 1st Apr.44, it was Klaus and he was commssioned as a U-boat torpedo officer. The reason for the confusion i think stems from the '44 KM rangliste which is printed in old German fraktur, the x actually looks like an r but looking at the index Axt does actually come after Aw...