News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My French medal pick ups

Noor

Hi Timo,

Maybe not modern, but an incorrect ribbon all the same; more than likely a ribbon for the WW1 French Commemorative Medal. The correct ribbon should have seven red stripes vice five.

Tim

Hi guys,

And now, when I start building my collection together again, I got a WW1 French Commemorative Medal with the wrong ribbon. If any you guys have piece of that ribbon over (five red stripes), please send me a message and maybe we can work out something.:cheers:

Hi Timo,

You can always ask any French/Belgian sellers that may throw a piece in next time you buy something over there. I have found most to be quite receptive to finding/providing items like this if you strike up a conversation.

You may try these links as well: http://www.worldmedals.co.uk/Rib/forribb.htm http://histoire-collection.com/catalog_5.htm

God luck! :cheers:

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

My todays French find in local fair :cheers:

17716159bc0862_o.jpg

clasp on the back

177161619a89e5_l.jpg

One quick question - how much this medal would be worth aprox?:whistle: Can't find any similar ones on sale at the moment to see the price (and online ones are not most acurate as well).

Regards,

Timo

Noor and other gents,

Thanks for taking the time to share these examples and to comment.

Found this thread fascinating and certainly learnt a lot about an area I know little / nothing about.

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

One quick question - how much this medal would be worth aprox?:whistle: Can't find any similar ones on sale at the moment to see the price (and online ones are not most acurate as well).

Regards,

Timo

I am still looking price range to compare. No plan to sell mine but just would like to be sure that I didn't pay way too much extra for that.... what unfortunately happends here in Dublin fairs...

Regards,

Timo

It seems to be a classic Paris Mint issue with the suspender and, I would say, the clasp by the sub-contractor Mercier. The Cornucopia and ARGENT marks indicate an early pre-1900 strike.

Regarding value, these early examples are rising. Five years ago, you easily could get one of these medals in this condition for €40.00 to €60.00 in France. I was going to suggest €100.00 to €120.00 for such an early example but I thought I would do some research for you beforehand.

There is a later type with TONKIN and TUNISIE clasps by Chobillion, which are not these beautiful 'clapette' type clasps, on a French dealer's list for €150. And here is one like yours on French eBay with a starting price of €145.00:

http://cgi.ebay.fr/MEDAILLE-COLONIALE-ARGENT-BELIERE-BIFACE-TONKIN-/200598281817#ht_500wt_1028

It attracted no bids so the starting price was evidently too high for local tastes. Here is another that realised €68.00 in March, which I would say was a bargain price:

http://cgi.ebay.fr/Medaille-coloniale-1er-type-agr-TONKIN-a-clapet-/200584345474#ht_3801wt_1013

If you were putting a value on the medal you have for insurance purposes, then around €140.00. Pricing it for sale purposes is another matter. Some of the French dealers trying to inflate the values lately might occasionally succeed in persuading customers outside France to pay 50% more than a French collector would pay but let's put it this way: if you got this for under €100.00, that's OK.

Hope this helps, Timo.

P

Edited by PKeating

Hello Noor

I agree with P. These medals are very popular these daya, partly because a very good book was published last year on the subject.

Nevertheless such Colonial Medals of the early period do come on the market constantly. The professional offers are sometimes high, as is the case for the TONKIN medal shown.

But they can also be cheaper : one ALGERIE (mistakenly announced as AFRIQUE) is up for sale until to-morrow and still well under 10 Euro. It probably will make a little more, but I doubt it will go very much over 40 Euro, if that much.

Let's se what the market says.

Best regards

Veteran

Hello Noor

I agree with P. These medals are very popular these daya, partly because a very good book was published last year on the subject.

Nevertheless such Colonial Medals of the early period do come on the market constantly. The professional offers are sometimes high, as is the case for the TONKIN medal shown.

But they can also be cheaper : one early Colonial Medal with early clasp ALGERIE (mistakenly announced as AFRIQUE) is up for sale on the French eBay until to-morrow and still well under 10 Euro. It probably will make a little more, but I doubt it will go very much over 40 Euro, if that much.

Let's see what the market says.

Best regards

Veteran

Edited by Veteran

• 4 months later...

As the colonial medal seems to be for sale now I thought it'd be best to make this clear:

The Cornucopia and ARGENT marks indicate an early pre-1900 strike.

Indeed so. The marking here on the jeton however is Cornucopia 1 ARGENT which indicates a strike somewhere between 1907-1913. Right? Correct me if I'm wrong

Hello

Nice pre-1913 Colonial Medal with first type TONKIN clasp, Paris Mint issue. Awarded for services in Tonkin (Northen Indochina) between 1893 and 1913 when this type of clasp was replaced by a simpler one.

The ribbon might also be period.

Nice medai.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I sold my French Madagascar 1895 campaign medal on ebay to the buyer from France called "rpima". Item was posted out first week in November after payment via PayPal by regular post as agreed. However, he started dispute against me and claiming that the item never received. I am very new ebay user, so this kind a action without any previous correspondence was a small shock.

I know chances are slim but if you ever spot a medal below, please let me know. If it is still with the same ribbon, it is possible to ID it because the carboard in the middle and some traces of clue on the back of the ribbon.

Not so happy,

Timo aka Noor

1731624912b690_o.jpg