News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Golden Kite Order Replicas and Fakes

JapanX

• Replies 181
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

So, I really don't know a whole lot about the Golden Kite, particularly the higher class ones other than what I've read in books or here on this forum, which has been fascinating to no small degree.

The recent conversation in the China Incident Commemorative post bewteen Nick and Rich was quite interesting - yes, the China Incident Commemorative talk, but also the Golden Kite talk - with specific mention of a lack of documents and a brief mention about Golden Kite cases including, to the effect that the cases were not absent, unlike the China Inc. Com. medal - but this has me wondering about something -

So, I've seen at least a few 5th Class Golden Kite sets for sale in which at least the medals appear authentic, but the cases are not what one is used to seeing. They have had this kind of hardware on them, which is similar, if not identical to the hardware being used on the cases of modern orders - plain, flat latch, whereas the "factory" Golden Kite cases have a more decorative, elaborate design.

The conversation got me wondering if perhaps some of these medals may have been issued in haste, without cases and that these are indeed post-war replacements? I mean, obviously they are replacements, but I don't know if it is fair to call them "replicas" considering the medals appear authentic. I've seen 3 of these now that I'm paying attention to them, always 5th class from what I've seen. I've not seen them in 7th or 6th class. 4th? Well, they just don't show up all that often anyway, so I've not noted it, but have not been paying attention either (though I will now). The kanji has always been gold and modern look them, not older styles.

Has anybody else seen these, handled any, any theories, or known info on this?

... if perhaps some of these medals may have been issued in haste, without cases and that these are indeed post-war replacements?

This is of course probable ...

But I think it will be more realistically to assume that these boxes came as a result of dealers activity.

As we both know unboxed kite and boxed one will have quite different prices ;)

And there are many unboxed kites (some lost their original box, others were in the bars, etc...)

This is of course probable ...

But I think it will be more realistically to assume that these boxes came as a result of dealers activity.

As we both know unboxed kite and boxed one will have quite different prices ;)

Yes, no doubt that some sellers would try to get higher prices by supplying a case, but case hardware makes it pretty obvious that it is not original. And a replacment case? I wonder just how much value it adds vs. the cost of a case?

It is pretty obvious for you mate, not for the newcomers ;)

If we are talking about higher classes of orders and more or less rare medals, box may add somewhere between 25% and 40%.

• 2 weeks later...

Nick,

I wonder whether this Kite star was made by Nakata, if he is the one you mean by "familiar manufacturer". As far as I know Nakata always puts the chararacters for replica on his copies. This one has no inscription.

Pieter

Nick,

I wonder whether this Kite star was made by Nakata, if he is the one you mean by "familiar manufacturer". As far as I know Nakata always puts the chararacters for replica on his copies. This one has no inscription.

Pieter

We saw work of "familiar manufacture" in posts # 40 and # 41 :)

It's not Nakata...

Regards,

Nick

P.S. You better check Imperial Russia section - I posted something new for you ;)