News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Egyptian Navy Vice Admiral Mohab Mamish

ChrisW

This photograph of Egyptian Navy VAdm Mohab Mamish, current head of the Suez Canal Authority, caught my eye for several reasons.

1) Photos of Egyptian Navy officers are relatively rare (compared to the Army)

2) He's got some relatively rarely-seen badges and medals including some new mystery ones

3) It's a remarkably sharp and high definition photo! :)

His medal ribbons:

Sinai Liberation Medal, Military Medal of Duty in two classes

Medal of Training in two classes, Medal of Distinguished Services

Medal of Long Service and Good Example, October 6 War Memorial Medal, unknown#1, Navy Day medal

??th Anniversary of the 1952 Revolution Medal, unknown#2, ??th Anniversary of the 1952 Revolution Medal, unknown #3

Sheer speculation, but it's possible that one of the two Anniversary of the 1952 Revolution Medal is the "Medal of the Revolution's Golden Jubilee" reportedly issued in 2002. If so, the other one might be the 30th (1982?) anniversary?

Further sheer speculation, it's possible that unknown #2 is an anniversary of the 1973 War medal of some sort (25th? 30th?) but I've never heard of one.

Even further sheer speculation, it's possible that unknown #3 is an anniversary of the 1982 Sinai Liberation (2002?) but I've never heard of one.

His badges:

Naval Special Operations qualification badge on the left breast

Submarine qualification badge on the right breast

The article was found here: http://www.egyptindependent.com/news/military-official-army-respects-legitimacy

Chris,

Nice photo. I would concur with your suggestions:

• Row 3, #3 could be the "25th Anniversary of the October Victory 73-97"
    • Row 4, either #1 or #3 is the "Gold Jubilee of the 23 July Revolution 1952-2002"

• As the ribbons are the same for the latter the ribbon device would indentifiy which one.

Regards, Owain

Dear Chris & Ilja, This a great example of how GMIC serves us all. With regard to these medals I am sure that the late Bichay would despair as to the quality of these pieces. I obtained my two medals at separate occasions in the souk in Riyadh at about $25 each - the quality is really quite bad. The quality of Egyptian medals deteriorated drastically on the issue of the 1973 War Medal which is atrocious but I recall Bichay telling me the contract went out to tender and due to "commercial considerations" it went to a badge company or similar with no experience of making medals. Ilja's Sinai 25th Anniversary Medal appears to be of better quality and I will now have to keep an eye out for one for my collection. I wonder if these medals were actually issued or or whether entitlement to the ribbon was given and then the recipient had to buy the medal? Do either of you have images of the Sinai Liberation Medal or the Navy Day Medal? Regards, Owain

Edited by oamotme

Yes, I have a design sketch of the 1982 Sinai Liberation Medal, as published in the Egyptian parliamentary gazette. No Navy Day medal unfortunately.

I am out of town for a few days, but shall make every effort to locate and post the sketch as soon as possible.

Regards,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...