News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Red Cross rosette hallmark ALMOST identified

fukuoka

Found two boxed Red Cross rosettes with the dai (大) hallmark. Inscribed on both cases was the shop that made it: Ohashi (大橋). One has additional information that I cannot make out (faded), with the exception of 'Tokyo.' That, though, is a big hint. The two kanji next to Tokyo are probably an area name, and the three below Tokyo also seem to indicate an area ('below -- '). If anyone has similar inscribed cases that are not faded, that would let us identify one hallmark. Little by little...

Hi Rich,

very interesting!

大 is the first character in the city name Osaka and lately I thought this mark could be used (in 10s and 20s) by Osaka Mint.

And mark ヒ during same could be used by Hiroshima Mint.

We meet both marks on 1914-1915 medals ;)

I wonder if Ohashi 大橋 could be a subcontractor firm for Osaka Mint during these days.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Nick

Since the Japanese Red Cross ordered member medals direct from the Japan Mint, I think they ordered rosettes and cases in the same manner--but from other manufacturers. So I think the Japan Mint was only concerned with medals. The Mint didn't make ribbons, cases, or rosettes for any of the other medals, either.

The Mint didn't make ribbons, cases, or rosettes for any of the other medals, either.

Undoubtedly!

So 大 could stands not for Osaka Mint, but for private firm 大橋 - Ohashi.

The only problem that I see Rich - if they manufactured rosettes for red cross, then they simultaneously manufactured medals and orders (we find this mark on them also ;)).

Is it possible?

Hmmm... I guess...

A guess: The medals were minted at the Japan Mint and assembled elsewhere. This 'elsewhere' may have made the simple suspension clasps and marked them... But that is only a guess.

In addition, it is also possible (probable?) that the same mark has different meanings. It is not as if these were examined closely by everyone as we are doing now. More likely, no one cared where they were made. And may I venture another guess? Maybe very few care even today! Only a few of us.

It is not as if these were examined closely by everyone as we are doing now.

Yes, I thought about this possibility too!

More likely, no one cared where they were made. And may I venture another guess? Maybe very few care even today! Only a few of us.

Indeed! :lol: