News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown Iraqi Medal and Lebanese armband???

Lion101

Hello Everyone, It's been a while since I have made any post or anything but I have been away. At any rate, I was wondering if I could get some help with a few items. The first one is a Iraqi medal that I never seen before. I was able to get a number of these with their cases. Would anyone happen to have any idea about what it is and what is it for? and is it pre 2003 or post 2003?

The second items belongs to someone I know.  I know that it is most likely from the Lebanese civil war but would anyone happen to have a clue about what it's says?

amal10.thumb.jpg.8f1f364fcf71bfc60316886

' alt='' class='ipsImage' width="1000px" height="750px">

' alt='' class='ipsImage' >

The brassard is from the militia of the Amal, the main Shi'ite faction in the Lebanese Civil War.  It suffered pretty heavily in that war and most of its power among Lebanese Shi'ites has been taken by the Iranian-backed Hizbullah.  

The logo at the top is a stylized version of "Amal", which is an acronym of the group's name.  The full name is at the bottom - أفواج المقاومة اللبنانية‎ - afwaj al-muqaawama al-lubnaaniya, or "Lebanese Resistance Battalions"/"Lebanese Resistance Regiments".  

I'm not sure about the word in between.  "صور" means "photo" or "picture", so unless there's some other meaning I am missing, maybe the brassard is for a camera team. One of our better Arabic speakers may have a better idea.

The medal has the outline of a map of Iraq and the three words from the bottom clockwise read, "Honour, Nation, Service". With the red 'ribbon' would this be some form of local wound medal?  Regards, Owain

The brassard is from the militia of the Amal, the main Shi'ite faction in the Lebanese Civil War.  It suffered pretty heavily in that war and most of its power among Lebanese Shi'ites has been taken by the Iranian-backed Hizbullah.  

The logo at the top is a stylized version of "Amal", which is an acronym of the group's name.  The full name is at the bottom - أفواج المقاومة اللبنانية‎ - afwaj al-muqaawama al-lubnaaniya, or "Lebanese Resistance Battalions"/"Lebanese Resistance Regiments".  

I'm not sure about the word in between.  "صور" means "photo" or "picture", so unless there's some other meaning I am missing, maybe the brassard is for a camera team. One of our better Arabic speakers may have a better idea.

​Thank you, Dave... you are ever so helpful as well!!!

I have been doing some digging and I think "صور"  is photo(s)

Would you happen to have any information on the medal by chance?

The medal has the outline of a map of Iraq and the three words from the bottom clockwise read, "Honour, Nation, Service". With the red 'ribbon' would this be some form of local wound medal?  Regards, Owain

​Hello Owain,

I am not sure, I have been told two different things about them. First, I was told that the medal was an Honorable service medal that was suppose to be awarded before 2003 but I have also been told that it is a post-2003 award?

• 8 months later...