News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

PC James SAMPSON

Born on 26th January 1868 in Croydon Cambridgeshire, James William Sampson. Baptised 23rd Feb 1868.
    1881 Living in Fordham Newmarket. Was an unmarried  leather dresser from Cambridgeshire prior to enlistment.

Had his medical examination on the 25th June 1889. His height given as 5` 10 and a half inches. Weight 11 stone 4 Lbs. Chest 35 and a half inches. Complexion fair. Eyes grey. Hair dark.

He joined the Met 15/07/89 as a PC in R Div Warrant No. 74634. Collar number being 191R. (possibly on independant patrol by August?)
    1891 stationed/living at Eltham Police Station, High St, Eltham Police Station- R Division (5th April 1891)
    1894 (29th September) posted to H Division. Collar number 469H. The reason for the move was Disciplinary.
    1897 H Division for Diamond Jubilee.
    1901 living at 102 Mile End Road Old Town with 11 other Constables and a Sergeant (census 31st March 1901) - predominantly support for Arbour Square and Shadwell stations.
    1902 (8th March 1902) posted to V Division.
    1902 V Division (married living at 20 Smeaton Road, Wandsworth 11th September 1902) -(address destroyed by WW2 bomb?)
    1904 (11th August 1904) posted to L Division.
    1911 living in Newington (L Division).

He was pensioned 20/07/14 as a PC in L. Discharge Register and it shows he got a Class 3 Conduct, which may account for him being moved around quite a bit and no promotion.

His medal entitlement is
    1897 Jubilee PC H Div
    1902 Coronation PC V Div
    1911 Coronation PC L Division

Time served in each Division.
    R Division 15th July 1889 - 29th Septemeber 1894.
    H Division 29th September 1894 - 8th March 1902.
    V Division 8th March 1902 - 11th August 1904.
    L Division 11th August 1902 -20th July 1914.

Possibly died in 1936?

102 Mile End Road photo.jpg

I have never heard of this Section House.  The main one for H Div. was off the Highway and held about 80 young constables.  Do you know if this still exists  -  they have incorporated the Blue lamp as part of the decoration over the door ?     Mervyn

I have never heard of this Section House.  The main one for H Div. was off the Highway and held about 80 young constables.  Do you know if this still exists  -  they have incorporated the Blue lamp as part of the decoration over the door ?     Mervyn

​H Division used to have three Section Houses, Mile End Road another on Denmark Street and a third which for some reason had housed Officers for G Division. These should not be confused with the actual stations, which also had section houses attached to them. Mile End Road I'm told mainly supplied Officers for Shadwell & Arbour Square stations, but I believe they could just have easily sent Officers to Leman & Commercial Street stations, if required.