News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

PAKISTAN -- Tamgha-i-Khidmat

Ed_Haynes

Tamgha-i-Khidmat (Military) / Medal of Service (Military)

Awarded for long and meritorious service of a distinguished nature. Recipients of the award are entitled to use postnominal abbreviations as detailed below.

In many ways, this serves as a military class paralleling the Nishan-i-Khidmat; it is important to distinguish between this award and the Tamgah-i-Khidmat that is the fourth class of the Nishan-i-Khidmat. This decoration also represented somewhat of an overlap with the older, pre-1947, Order of British India and no soldier could be awarded the Tamgha-i-Khidmat who held the O.B.I. 1st class.

These awards are widely and easily available in Pakistan and are often added to "augment" invented groups. Be aware and be cautious.

Established: No.F.40(3)/Pres./57 of 16 March 1957, by the President of Pakistan. At some point in time -- unknown at present -- the badge was redesigned.

Obverse: A ten-pointed faceted star (metals and design vary by variety and by class, see below) with a superimposed five-pointed white-enameled star with a star and crescent in the center. Suspended as a neck badge from a suspender with the name of the decoration ?Tamgha-i-Khidmat?.

Reverse: A circle; the medal is sometimes named here, though not always "officially"

Ribbon: Basically crimson and white, but it differs by class; see detailed comments below.

1st class (T.K.I) - Awarded only to those who held the T.K.II or O.B.I. 2nd class. The award carried a monthly stipend of Rs. 40. On retirement, the awardee was to be granted the rank of Honorary Captain (if a Risaldar-Major or Subadar-Major) or Honorary Lieutenant (if a Risaldar, Subadar, or Jemadar).

Roughly, this is the equivalent to the pre-1947 OBI 1st class.

The first variety is a 47-mm silver-gilt faceted star with a five pointed star in the centre. The points of the star are enameled white with an unenameled star and crescent in the centre. It is suspended from a crimson ribbon with a single white stripe by a tablet reading (in Urdu) "Tamgha-i-Khidmat".

The second variety is a 41-mm silver-gilt faceted star with a five pointed star in the centre. The points of the star are enameled white with a star and crescent in the centre, also on a white background. It is suspended from a crimson ribbon with a single white stripe by a tablet reading (in Urdu) "Tamgha-i-Khidmat".

Edited by Ed_Haynes

2nd class (T.K.II) - A junior class to the T.K.I. Not to be awarded to those who already held the O.B.I. 2nd class. The decoration carried with it a monthly stipend of Rs. 25.

Roughly, this is the equivalent to the pre-1947 OBI 2nd class.

The first variety is a 47-mm silver faceted star with a five pointed star in the centre. The points of the star are enameled white with an unenameled star and crescent in the centre. It is suspended from a crimson ribbon with two white stripes by a tablet reading (in Urdu) "Tamgha-i-Khidmat".

The second variety is a 41-mm silver faceted star with a five pointed star in the centre. The points of the star are enameled white with a star and crescent in the centre, also on a white background. It is suspended from a crimson ribbon with two white stripes by a tablet reading (in Urdu) "Tamgha-i-Khidmat".

3rd class (T.K.III) - Roughly, this is the equivalent to the pre-1947 OBI 3rd class (approved in principle, but never notified or awarded).

The first variety is a 47-mm bronze faceted star with a five pointed star in the centre. The points of the star are enameled white with an unenameled star and crescent in the centre. It is suspended from a crimson ribbon with three white stripes by a tablet reading (in Urdu) "Tamgha-i-Khidmat".

The second variety is a 41-mm bronze faceted star with a five pointed star in the centre. The points of the star are enameled white with a star and crescent in the centre, also on a white background. It is suspended from a crimson ribbon with three white stripes by a tablet reading (in Urdu) "Tamgha-i-Khidmat".

CAUTION: Be very careful with these when encountered in Pakistani "groups". They are routinely added (often with asserted Gazette of Pakistan references -- but never Xeroxes) by dealers in the UK and Pakistan into fraudulently manufactured Frenkengroups.

No never named. Some have been named by enterprising merchants.

Only the Pakistan Medal (independence medal) and some of the gallantry decorations are named. This makes the business far too easy for the fakers of "groups".

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Here's a new addition compliments of Ed (Text is copyright to Edward S. Haynes)

Tamgha-i-Khidmat (Military) / Medal of Service (Military), 3rd Class

The first variety is a 47-mm bronze faceted star with a five pointed star in the centre. The points of the star are enameled white with an unenameled star and crescent in the centre. It is suspended from a crimson ribbon with three white stripes by a tablet reading (in Urdu) "Tamgha-i-Khidmat".

Awarded for long and meritorious service of a distinguished nature. Recipients of the award are entitled to use postnominal abbreviations as detailed below.

In many ways, this serves as a military class paralleling the Nishan-i-Khidmat; it is important to distinguish between this award and the Tamgah-i-Khidmat that is the fourth class of the Nishan-i-Khidmat. This decoration also represented somewhat of an overlap with the older, pre-1947, Order of British India and no soldier could be awarded the Tamgha-i-Khidmat who held the O.B.I. 1st class.

These awards are widely and easily available in Pakistan and are often added to "augment" invented groups. Be aware and be cautious.

Established: No.F.40(3)/Pres./57 of 16 March 1957, by the President of Pakistan. At some point in time -- unknown at present -- the badge was redesigned.

Obverse: A ten-pointed faceted star (metals and design vary by variety and by class, see below) with a superimposed five-pointed white-enameled star with a star and crescent in the center. Suspended as a neck badge from a suspender with the name of the decoration ?Tamgha-i-Khidmat?.

Reverse: A circle; the medal is sometimes named here, though not always "officially"

Ribbon: Basically crimson and white, but it differs by class; see detailed comments below.

--------------------

All rights are retained over both text and images. ? Edward S. Haynes.

:beer: Doc