News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mongolian shoulder boards

Ed_Haynes

I know only slightly more about these than I do about things like patches, and the existing sources aren't very good: Battushig's book, the various US area handbooks, and the online

http://www.uniforminsignia.net/index.php?p...35&sid=2169

http://www.uniforminsignia.net/index.php?p=state&id=158

Despite this -- or perhaps due to this -- let me post some items here in hopes we can sort some things out. Numbering these so I and I hope we can make easy reference.

Posting somewhat randomly, using the 'Rick Rule' to rotate 90 degrees before scanning. (All are in pairs.)

1- post-1945/pre-1992 (?), dress, lieutenant (?)

2- post-1945/pre-1992 (?), field, lieutenant-colonel (?)

3- post-1945/pre-1992 (?), field, major (?)

None have any tags or marks on the reverse -- I'd mention such if this were the case.

Guest Rick Research

Ooog. Need branch of service color data!

Dark blue = State Security

Dark Green = Border Guards (if following Soviet system)

but red and white = :speechless1: ?

#12 would be for a gray shirt-- 4 star general?

#13 also for a shirt, only army color. Same?

Ooog. Need branch of service color data!

Dark blue = State Security

Dark Green = Border Guards (if following Soviet system)

but red and white = :speechless1: ?

#12 would be for a gray shirt-- 4 star general?

#13 also for a shirt, only army color. Same?

Good question, Rick. I suspect Soviet models were followed "closely", but how closely? The question is being asked.

I now kick myself pre-1949 goodies for not acquiring many more of these when I had the chance.

Guest Rick Research

20 and 21 must be sleeve thingums.

22 is a collar tab from a gimnastyorka-- missing button--hole down at the rounded back end.

I am sneaking up, slowly, toward some sort of understanding of Mongolian rank insigniae. Soon, I'll post some guesses here.

In the interim, a set of collar tabs, arm patch (?), and greatcoat collar patch (?) for what I think is pre-WWII state security.

The scan may not look that way, but the dark is dark green.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

While there does not seem to be tremendous interest in these, let me continue to document what I can, against the day when we figure them out and/or there is some emerging interest.

Some items (the first three) that seem to reflect a replacement of Soviet-style insigniae with US-style insigniae.

The fourth item is, of course, a collar patch. Branch colors to be determined.

Guest Rick Research

Aha! :cheers:

The stripes in posts 13 and 14 (especially the latter) are probably sleeve indications of class year for military school cadets. The straight ones are exact duplicates of Soviet ones from say 1969 on.

• 5 months later...
    Guest Rick Research

Aside from the top two star-ish things, those are all Soviet pattern branch insignia for collar tabs and/or shoulder boards depending on form of uniform being worn, post 1969. The air force propellers at bottom left have a bit wider center than any I have seen on Soviet ones.

None of these have appeared on any of the shoulder boards you've found so far, so presumably if the exact Soviet pattern was worn, these insignia are from late model collar tabs on overcoats and so on.

Guest Rick Research

Bingo!!!! :cheers:

The shoulder boards worn on most forms of uniform in the Soviet bloc since the late 1950s had no branch devices because those were worn on collar tabs instead. The only forms of dress that had branch insignia on boards were things like shirts when no collar tabs were worn.

Forgot to mention-- the silver colored snake and goblet is for the veterinary branch-- no doubt extremely important in Mongolia. I've just read Robert Kaplan's "Imperial Grunts," and he says current Mongolian border forces are still using ponies and camels for patrolling-- no mechanical parts to seize up, no need to truck in fuel-- and worst comes to worst, they're edible.