News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ribbon ID needed , Croat but which ?

Hello All ,

Spotted this 1957 German Ribbon bar on Ebay i fancy buying but which awards are indicated by the last 2 ribbons ? I thought the 2nd to last looks like the ribbon for the American silver star or are they both Croatian ?

Does the metal Croatian device on the last bar indicate a higher award ?

Thanks in advance for any information i am totally ignorant of Croatian awards :banger:

Cheers

Grant

Oh here,s the link :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Guest Rick Research

That's quite an eclectic mix of awards, with an OSTVOLK up top too.

Next to last is the SLOVAK Silver Bravery Medal, and last is the CROAT "Commemorative" frontline-device service ribbon (no MEDAL for this, just a buttonhole ribbon with the shield... or not) thingum:

[attachmentid=28182]

[attachmentid=28183]

I've never encountered a sew-on M1957-- but then my experience with these is minimal. It is an excellent looking and interesting combination, but the starting bid at ?129 is, unless I am totally separated from the world of reality, INSANE.

Thanks Rick ,

I only have one 1957 bar that was sewn directly onto the tunic .

Yes it is a lot for a bar i was going to see if i could get it cheaper although for some reason a Slovak and Croat award together is suspicious to me , is this a realistic combo ?

Thanks

Grant

Guest Rick Research

I don't know. This guy certainly got around though-- Slovakia and Croatia were ALLIES, not "Ostv?lker." This gets down to Order of Battle stuff--

I think all the Slovak units were on the Russian Front, while Croatian units remained in the former Yugoslavia?

Perhaps this guy had Slavic language skills and got shuffled around as German cadre/liaison.

• 2 years later...

Sure looks like "recycled" Saxon Order of Albert Ribbon being utilized there...

Frugality prevails yet again!

The Award was for 6 months military Service

And to give you all some info Croats did fight on the Eastern front

1.1.: The 369th Reinforced (Croat) Infantry Regiment:

This Wehrmacht (Heer) unit of Croatian volunteers was raised in July, 1941, for combat on the Eastern Front. This was an infantry regiment with 3 infantry battalions and its own artillery attached (therefore ?reinforced?). From October 9, 1941, the regiment was attached to the 100th Jaeger Division, and fought some major engagements at Harkov, Kalatch and Selivanov. The Croatians proved to be reliable and brave soldiers, and were held in high regard by both the German command and their German comrades in arms. On September 29, 1942, the Regiment entered Stalingrad, where they were destroyed after a long and heroic struggle (a few survivors surrendered to the Red Army on February 2, 1943). Approximately 6,300 Croatian soldiers served in this unit through its ill-fated existence. Many were awarded various Croatian decorations, and a high number received German decorations. This is an incomplete list:

Iron Cross 1st Class:

• - Colonel Viktor Vitez PAVICIC
    • Staff Sergeant Dragutin PODOBNIK, recieved the Iron Cross 2nd Class Staff Sergeant PODOBNIK was further decorated on October 16, 1942 with the Iron Cross 1st Class by General Sanne (at Stalingrad). The award was recieved for an action on September 30, 1942, where Podobnik and 18 of his men infiltrated a fortified Soviet position in the ?Red October? factory, destroyed the defenders(even though the Russians outnumbered them), and handed over the occupied building to the 54th German Regiment (that had been unsuccessfully attacking this position for several hours). Podobnik and his men also captured 3 enemy artillery pieces, 2 mortars, 1 ?Maksim? machine-gun, and a large number of rifles, pistols, grenades and automatic weapons. All of this with only 3 lightly wounded men. Sergeant Podobnik would, unfortunately, not return from Stalingrad (his actual fate is unknown).

Iron Cross 2nd Class:

• - Lt. 1st Class BAKAREC received the German Iron Cross 2nd Class in October of 1941, while commanding the 11th (Bicycle) Company of the Regiment, attached to the Vorausabteilung of the 100th Jaeger Division.
      • - Sergeant Ivan GRBESA was awarded the Iron Cross 2nd Class during the course of the battle for Stalingrad.
      • - Captain Geza MAJBERGER, commander of the 1st Battalion, received the Iron Cross 2nd Class for leadership during the battles around Manojlin, summer of 1942. He was mortally wounded on July 30, 1942.
      • - Lt. Josip ZAMBATA was awarded the Iron Cross 2nd Class in September, 1942.
      • - Sergeant Dzafer BABOVIC,September, 1942.

I don't know. This guy certainly got around though-- Slovakia and Croatia were ALLIES, not "Ostv?lker." This gets down to Order of Battle stuff--

I think all the Slovak units were on the Russian Front, while Croatian units remained in the former Yugoslavia?

Perhaps this guy had Slavic language skills and got shuffled around as German cadre/liaison.

The Croatian Airforce Legion:

This Luftwaffe unit of Croatian volunteers was formed on June 2, 1941, and had a fighter and a bomber squadron. The fighter squadron was designated ?15.(Kroatische)/JG 52?, and served on the Eastern Front with great success from October 6, 1941 - July, 1944. The bomber squadrom was titled ?15.(Kroatische)/KG 53?, and served on the Eastern Front from October 25, 1941 - December of 1942.

Decorations received by the Legion were as follows:

Fighter Squadron:

• - Lt.-Colonel Mato CULINOVIC, Iron Cross 1st and Iron Cross 2nd Class;
    • - Lt. Cvitan GALIC, Iron Cross 1st and Iron Cross 2nd Class;
    • - Sergeant Veca MILKOVIC, Iron Cross 1st and Iron Cross 2nd Class;
    • - Sergeant Tomislav KAUZLARIC, Iron Cross 1st and Iron Cross 2nd Class;
    • - 40 other members of the Fighter Squadron received the Iron Cross 2nd Class.

Bomber Squadron:

• - 150 members of the Bomber Squadron received the Iron Cross 1st and/or 2nd Class.
    Croatian Airforce Legion Badge was worn by members of the Legion while on the Eastern Front. The pilots were allowed to continue wearing these badges upon the disbandment of their legions, and assignment to Croatian military units

Croatian Navy Legion

This Kriegsmarine unit of Croatian volunteers was formed in July, 1941, and served in the Black Sea until October, 1943.

A total of 343 men served in this unit, performing security, minesweeping and small vessel combat missions. Frigate Captain Andro VRKLJAN (the Legion?s first commander) was awarded the Iron Cross 1st Class. 50 other members of the Legion were decorated with the Iron Cross 2nd Class.

With the surrender of Italy in 1943, the Italian veto on a Croatian Navy in the Adriatic Sea became null and void, so the Croatian sailors were returned to Croatia for further service. Croatian Naval Legion Badge was worn by members of the Legion while on the Eastern Front. The seamen, like their pilots counterparts, were allowed to continue wearing these badges upon the disbandment of their legions and assignment to Croatian military units.